If you’re a journalist, donating to a political cause or campaign is generally a big no-no. In many newsrooms, it’s a fireable offense.
“Thirty years ago, in 1985, after 15 great years, I was fired by ABC News. The official reason was a $200 donation I gave to the non-partisan mayor’s race in New Bedford, Massachusetts,” Geraldo Rivera said on Fox News.
At first glance, George Stephanopoulos’ $75,000 donation to the Clinton Foundation would seem to fall under that category.
Except that the Clinton Foundation is a charity — a nonprofit that, among it’s many goals, works to improve global health, reduce childhood obesity and increase opportunities for women and girls.
The reason, according to a statement ABC gave to Politico’s Dylan Byers, ”Stephanopoulos made charitable donations to the Foundation to support a cause he cares about deeply.”
A cause that, again, wasn’t political in nature — at least not directly. An argument could be made donations to the Clinton Foundationhave been used to buy influence with the Clintons themselves.
In fact, Stephanopoulos has made that argument.
“Everybody also knows when those donors give that money to President Clinton or someone, they get a picture with him. There’s a hope that that’s going to lead to something and that’s what you have to be careful of,” Stephanopoulos said on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show.”
Stephanopoulos has since apologized for not telling viewers about his donations, and says he will not be moderating the network’s Republican 2016 primary debate.
Read more: wxyz.com
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- WATCH: Body-Cam Footage Released of Police Hunting Down Las Vegas Shooter Stephen Paddock
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- WATCH: Liberal Politician Wants to Make it Illegal to Manufacture Semi-Automatic Rifles, ‘Get Them Out Of Our Communities’
- FLASHBACK: When Trump Said McCain Was NOT a War Hero–He Was RIGHT
- Media Bias and Anti-NRA Protests Causes Massive Spike in NRA Membership
- WATCH: Chick Accuses Cop of Racism, Then the Body Camera Footage is Released
- PRINCESS OR QUEEN: THE 11 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DATING A GIRL VS A WOMAN