If you’re a journalist, donating to a political cause or campaign is generally a big no-no. In many newsrooms, it’s a fireable offense.
“Thirty years ago, in 1985, after 15 great years, I was fired by ABC News. The official reason was a $200 donation I gave to the non-partisan mayor’s race in New Bedford, Massachusetts,” Geraldo Rivera said on Fox News.
At first glance, George Stephanopoulos’ $75,000 donation to the Clinton Foundation would seem to fall under that category.
Except that the Clinton Foundation is a charity — a nonprofit that, among it’s many goals, works to improve global health, reduce childhood obesity and increase opportunities for women and girls.
The reason, according to a statement ABC gave to Politico’s Dylan Byers, ”Stephanopoulos made charitable donations to the Foundation to support a cause he cares about deeply.”
A cause that, again, wasn’t political in nature — at least not directly. An argument could be made donations to the Clinton Foundationhave been used to buy influence with the Clintons themselves.
In fact, Stephanopoulos has made that argument.
“Everybody also knows when those donors give that money to President Clinton or someone, they get a picture with him. There’s a hope that that’s going to lead to something and that’s what you have to be careful of,” Stephanopoulos said on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show.”
Stephanopoulos has since apologized for not telling viewers about his donations, and says he will not be moderating the network’s Republican 2016 primary debate.
Read more: wxyz.com
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Watch: CNN Does Its Job and Corrects Fake News Democrats
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Three Thugs Were Just Arrested for Stealing Guns in Baton Rouge–Posed ‘Credible Threat’ to Harm Police…
- Watch: Psychologist Leaves Reporter Speechless Defending the Right to Free Speech vs. Someone’s ‘Right’ To Not Be Offended
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- ALERT: Intel Officer Claims Obama Would be First Former President to be Charged with a FELONY if…
- Photo Gallery
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- WALK OF SHAME: ISIS Commander Forced to Walk Nude to His Execution