If you’re a journalist, donating to a political cause or campaign is generally a big no-no. In many newsrooms, it’s a fireable offense.
“Thirty years ago, in 1985, after 15 great years, I was fired by ABC News. The official reason was a $200 donation I gave to the non-partisan mayor’s race in New Bedford, Massachusetts,” Geraldo Rivera said on Fox News.
At first glance, George Stephanopoulos’ $75,000 donation to the Clinton Foundation would seem to fall under that category.
Except that the Clinton Foundation is a charity — a nonprofit that, among it’s many goals, works to improve global health, reduce childhood obesity and increase opportunities for women and girls.
The reason, according to a statement ABC gave to Politico’s Dylan Byers, ”Stephanopoulos made charitable donations to the Foundation to support a cause he cares about deeply.”
A cause that, again, wasn’t political in nature — at least not directly. An argument could be made donations to the Clinton Foundationhave been used to buy influence with the Clintons themselves.
In fact, Stephanopoulos has made that argument.
“Everybody also knows when those donors give that money to President Clinton or someone, they get a picture with him. There’s a hope that that’s going to lead to something and that’s what you have to be careful of,” Stephanopoulos said on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show.”
Stephanopoulos has since apologized for not telling viewers about his donations, and says he will not be moderating the network’s Republican 2016 primary debate.
Read more: wxyz.com
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act
- Hurricane Harvey Dumps 11 Trillion Gallons of Water on Houston, Thousands of People are…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- MSM Tries Denying Trump Killed it at G20, But Foreign Press Comes to the Rescue
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ‘YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WEDDINGS’: Little Flower Girl Tries Her Best to Explain Weddings to Her Dad [WATCH]
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ANTIFA: Violence is Necessary