The smash hit hip-hop musical Hamilton took its talents to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to perform at the White House for the Obamas on Monday.
Through rap and hip-hop, the show tells the life story of the United States’ first treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton, with most of the major roles played by a person of color.
The first ever performance of a song from Hamilton was sung by the show’s writer and star, Lin-Manuel Miranda, at the White House in 2009, when it was a project called the Hamilton Mix Tape.
After years of writing, Hamilton debuted at the Public Theater in New York City early last year and moved to Broadway in August.
It has since become a world-wide phenomenon, with tickets sold out for the foreseeable future with the cheapest resell seats costing $1,200.
Seven years after Lin-Manuel first brought the first incarnation of Hamilton to the White House, the cast returned to show the president and first lady how far it has come.
The cast performed the opening number ‘Alexander Hamilton’, the same song – now perfected – that Lin-Manuel performed back in 2009, and the show’s third song ‘My Shot’.
President Obama introduced the cast, joking that even he couldn’t get a ticket and, since he ‘felt a little deprived’, decided to bring Hamilton to him. Even Vice President Joe Biden didn’t want to miss out and watched too.
Obama quipped: ‘They kind of owe me though, because seven years ago Lin-Manuel Miranda came to the White House Poetry Jam.
‘He took the mic and he announced that he and his musical collaborator Alex Lacamoire, that they were going to perform a song from a hip-hop album they were working on and I’m quoting him, “about the life of someone who embodies hip-hop, treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton”.
Obama explained how when Lin-Manuel said that, the crowd began laughing, but the ‘Lin was serious and who’s laughing now?’
Read more: Daily Mail
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- Maxine Waters: ‘I think too much credit is given to presidents about how the markets are working…’
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Syrians React to Trump’s Bombing of Airbase… LOVE What the President Did
- BACON BATTALION: ISIS Militants KILLED by Unexpected Fighters
- 22 U.S. States Have Passed “Bring Your Gun to Work” Laws
- VETPAW: Anti-Poaching Unit Shut-Down because this Woman Said…
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act
- Hurricane Harvey Dumps 11 Trillion Gallons of Water on Houston, Thousands of People are…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- MSM Tries Denying Trump Killed it at G20, But Foreign Press Comes to the Rescue