The telephone in the Decatur County Clerk Office rang nonstop Thursday morning, and a steady stream of people came into the small room.
Over and over again, people praised the decision of the three workers who have decided to step down from their positions rather than hand out same-sex marriage licenses.
Clerk Gwen Pope and employees Sharon Bell and Mickey Butler all said they were resigning because the Supreme Court’s decision to allow same-sex marriages clashed with their religious beliefs. Their last day will be July 14.
Currently, Decatur County’s clerk office will not issue a same-sex license, the employees said.
According to Drew Baker, area representative for the Tennessee Equality Project, Decatur County is the only county in the state that has said it won’t issue same-sex licenses. As of Thursday there have been no requests for a same-sex license in the county.
Pope said the decision to step down wasn’t made to make news.
“It’s kind of sort of like you don’t want to draw attention to yourself for any reason,” Pope said. “That’s not why we’re doing this. Not doing it in any way to draw attention to us. It’s for the glory of God. He’s going to get all the glory.”
All three will be looking for new jobs. There was no backup plan, they said.
Pope has worked on and off in the office since 1994 and has been the clerk since 2008. Butler has worked in the office since 2002 and Bell has been there since 2009.
Read more: wbir.com
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Trump Attacks Everyone in Morning Twitter Rant
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci is a Staunch Gun Control Supporter
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- Liberal Journalist Calls Sarah Huckabee Sanders a ‘Butch Queen’
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Kid Rock Already in Political Battle with Opponent, ‘We the People are sick and tired of their bulls***’
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- Woman Scares off Masked Intruder With Toy Gun
- BIBLE PAGE FUSED TO 9/11 RUBBLE: Discovered in Pristine Condition, What it Says Will Leave You in Awe
- Bill de Blasio Snubbed at Funeral for Slain Female NYPD Officer