Cincinnati Bengals player Devon Still last night gave an emotional speech about his 5-year-old daughter’s battle with cancer, recalling how he would pray to God that he didn’t lose his little girl.
The Bengals defensive tackle and his daughter Leah were honored with the Jimmy V Perseverance Award during yesterday’s ESPY Awards.
Still told the crowd that he felt like he was living in a nightmare when Leah was diagnosed with cancer.
“I remember the first week in the hospital, I would sneak out [of] the room and I would go down to the chapel and I would just cry,” Still said. “I would just ask God why did he give my daughter this fight, and I would beg him to give me the fight with death rather than my daughter.”
Still recalled learning that Leah’s cancer had spread throughout her body, telling the audience that he realized in that moment that they had two options.
“We could’ve lost faith and just let this battle with cancer get the best of us, or I could give my daughter’s battle with cancer a purpose, and use my platform to try to raise as much awareness as possible. […] We decided not to give up,” he said.
But being in Cincinnati instead of with Leah started to take a toll on Still. He said that Leah wanted to be with her dad, and he couldn’t be there for her.
Read more: Fox News Insider
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- ALERT: House Voted on Impeachment of Trump, Results Were Staggering
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Female Gun Range Owner, Who Banned Muslims from Her Business, is Running for Governor