The family of Freddie Gray, who died after being critically injured in police custody, reached a $6.4 million wrongful death settlement with the city of Baltimore, resolving civil claims about a week after the first hearing in the criminal case against six police officers, officials said Tuesday.
Six Baltimore police officers face criminal charges stemming from Gray’s death. Gray, who was black, was critically injured April 12 in the back of a prisoner transport van after he was arrested. His death sparked protests, rioting and unrest that shook Baltimore for days.
The settlement still needs the approval of a board that oversees city spending. The board meets Wednesday.
“The proposed settlement agreement going before the board of estimates should not be interpreted as a judgment on the guilt or innocence of the officers facing trial,” Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said in a news release. “This settlement is being proposed solely because it is in the best interest of the city, and avoids costly and protracted litigation that would only make it more difficult for our city to heal and potentially cost taxpayers many millions more in damages.”
Read more: Yahoo News
- Trump Attacks Everyone in Morning Twitter Rant
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Liberal Journalist Calls Sarah Huckabee Sanders a ‘Butch Queen’
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci is a Staunch Gun Control Supporter
- Sean Spicer is Out: Quits Job as Press Secretary and is Replaced by…
- Bill de Blasio Snubbed at Funeral for Slain Female NYPD Officer
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]