President Barack Obama and his 2008 campaign rival, Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, are bitter rivals on almost every aspect of U.S. foreign policy. Yet they are allies on one particularly thorny subject — the use of armed drones.
On this highly effective and sometimes imperfect weapon in the war against terrorist groups, the White House wants the Pentagon, not the Central Intelligence Agency, to take the lead in these lethal operations.
The administration’s admission last week that two Western hostages, including American Warren Weinstein, were inadvertently killed in a CIA drone strike in January has prompted key members of Congress to urge a shift in control over the agency’s controversial drone program to the Defense Department.
“We will renew this discussion with the administration, within Congress as to who actually should be running the drone operation,” McCain said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday.
Asked whether the CIA should be conducting a drone program, McCain responded, “I do not think so. That’s why they are — that’s why they are called the intelligence agency and why we call the armed forces the — obviously, the people that are supposed to be carrying out military operations.”
In response to the accidental killings of Weinstein and Italian aid worker Giovanni LoPorto, Obama ordered an internal review of the CIA’s drone operations.
A senior administration official indicated Monday the President plans to make a new push to move the CIA’s drone strikes against groups like al Qaeda to the Pentagon.
“The President has explained his belief that we must be more transparent about both the basis of our counterterrorism actions, including lethal operations, and the manner in which they are carried out,” a senior administration official said. “Because of this, he has indicated that he will increasingly turn to our military to take the lead and provide information to the public about our efforts. We continue to work diligently toward this goal,” the official added.
The White House attempted to transfer much of the CIA program over to the Defense Department two years ago, arguing the Defense Department already conducts its own drone strikes against more traditional military targets.
Read more: CNN
- LMAO: Watch Nancy Pelosi’s Face at the Moment Trump Said, an ‘Imploding Obamacare Disaster’
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Family of NYC Terrorist Speak Out — They are ‘Outraged’ by NY Police
- Off-Duty Officer Pulls Gun & Fires During Altercation with Group of Teens — Should He Be Punished?
- WATCH: Little Brother ‘Rescues’ Big Sister from a Fight
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied Claims ‘Islam is The MOST Feminist Religion’
- CNN Reporter SHAMES 12yr-Old Girls for Not Wanting to See ‘Penises’ in Their Locker Rooms — Preaches Tolerance for…
- Arkansas Might Remove the Clinton’s Name from Their Airport — Should They Do It?
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- WATCH: Female ISIS Captives Remove Their Veils and BURN Them
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- WATCH: Man Attempts to Ram Firetruck into Congress in Desperate Act of Protest
- Did the wrong side win the civil war?
- POLL: Should Bernie Sanders’ New Book ‘Our Revolution’ be Found Under ‘Teen Fantasy’ in Book Stores?
- World Leader Wishes to FORCE Headscarfs on ALL Women…Because Islamophobia
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]