President Barack Obama and his 2008 campaign rival, Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, are bitter rivals on almost every aspect of U.S. foreign policy. Yet they are allies on one particularly thorny subject — the use of armed drones.
On this highly effective and sometimes imperfect weapon in the war against terrorist groups, the White House wants the Pentagon, not the Central Intelligence Agency, to take the lead in these lethal operations.
The administration’s admission last week that two Western hostages, including American Warren Weinstein, were inadvertently killed in a CIA drone strike in January has prompted key members of Congress to urge a shift in control over the agency’s controversial drone program to the Defense Department.
“We will renew this discussion with the administration, within Congress as to who actually should be running the drone operation,” McCain said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday.
Asked whether the CIA should be conducting a drone program, McCain responded, “I do not think so. That’s why they are — that’s why they are called the intelligence agency and why we call the armed forces the — obviously, the people that are supposed to be carrying out military operations.”
In response to the accidental killings of Weinstein and Italian aid worker Giovanni LoPorto, Obama ordered an internal review of the CIA’s drone operations.
A senior administration official indicated Monday the President plans to make a new push to move the CIA’s drone strikes against groups like al Qaeda to the Pentagon.
“The President has explained his belief that we must be more transparent about both the basis of our counterterrorism actions, including lethal operations, and the manner in which they are carried out,” a senior administration official said. “Because of this, he has indicated that he will increasingly turn to our military to take the lead and provide information to the public about our efforts. We continue to work diligently toward this goal,” the official added.
The White House attempted to transfer much of the CIA program over to the Defense Department two years ago, arguing the Defense Department already conducts its own drone strikes against more traditional military targets.
Read more: CNN
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- Hillary Clinton & Co. About to be Stripped of Security Clearance
- Migrants Kill Motorist by Dragging Tree-Trunks to Stop Traffic, Hijack Cars
- Why We Carry: Man Punches Girl 39 Times in Empty Parking Lot After ‘Laying in Wait’ [WATCH]
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- MSNBC Host Suggests Scalise DESERVED To Be Shot — The Reason Why Will Have You FUMING!
- When Marco Met Ivanka: The Most Awkward Hug in Political History
- GROSS! What Women are Doing in the Name of Feminism Will Make You Puke
- Watch: Dude Performs Erotic Drag Show for Elementary & Middle School Kids
- Die-In Protesters Against Trump’s Healthcare Bill Get Rude Awakening by Motorcyclist [WATCH]
- WATCH: Why Poor People Shouldn’t Run the Economy
- Trump Sends Kim Jong-un a Loud and Clear Message After Otto’s Death
- Terrorist Knifeman Attacks Cop at Airport Shouts ‘Allahu Akbar’ [VIDEO]
- Nationwide Manhunt for This POS — Murdered Multiple Women, Considered Armed and Dangerous
- Trevor Noah Targets NRA: ‘How Does a Black Person Not Get Shot in America?’ [VIDEO]
- New Report Exposes Millions of Illegal Immigrants Have Voted in U.S. Elections
- Photo Gallery