President Barack Obama and his 2008 campaign rival, Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, are bitter rivals on almost every aspect of U.S. foreign policy. Yet they are allies on one particularly thorny subject — the use of armed drones.
On this highly effective and sometimes imperfect weapon in the war against terrorist groups, the White House wants the Pentagon, not the Central Intelligence Agency, to take the lead in these lethal operations.
The administration’s admission last week that two Western hostages, including American Warren Weinstein, were inadvertently killed in a CIA drone strike in January has prompted key members of Congress to urge a shift in control over the agency’s controversial drone program to the Defense Department.
“We will renew this discussion with the administration, within Congress as to who actually should be running the drone operation,” McCain said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday.
Asked whether the CIA should be conducting a drone program, McCain responded, “I do not think so. That’s why they are — that’s why they are called the intelligence agency and why we call the armed forces the — obviously, the people that are supposed to be carrying out military operations.”
In response to the accidental killings of Weinstein and Italian aid worker Giovanni LoPorto, Obama ordered an internal review of the CIA’s drone operations.
A senior administration official indicated Monday the President plans to make a new push to move the CIA’s drone strikes against groups like al Qaeda to the Pentagon.
“The President has explained his belief that we must be more transparent about both the basis of our counterterrorism actions, including lethal operations, and the manner in which they are carried out,” a senior administration official said. “Because of this, he has indicated that he will increasingly turn to our military to take the lead and provide information to the public about our efforts. We continue to work diligently toward this goal,” the official added.
The White House attempted to transfer much of the CIA program over to the Defense Department two years ago, arguing the Defense Department already conducts its own drone strikes against more traditional military targets.
Read more: CNN
- BREAKING: Terror Attack on Pedestrians, Mowed Down by Van — Terrorist Take Hostages at Gun Point
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Missouri Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal: ‘I Hope Trump Is Assassinated!’
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- Black Hawk Helicopter Downed, 5 Crew Members on Board
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville
- White House Fact Sheet: How Trump and Sessions Have Combated Lawless Sanctuary Cities
- Michigan Forces Grandparents to Choose Between Their Guns and Grandchild…
- Obama Breaks Silence–5 Worded Response on Charlotte RIOTS Will Have You Dropping Your Jaw [SHOCKING]
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Pastor is Now Demanding Removal of George Washington Statue Because He Owned Slaves…
- MUSLIM MIGRANT RAPES 10YR-OLD BOY: Claims It Was A ‘Sexual Emergency’
- WATCH: John McCain Dazed and Confused During Comey Hearing, This is Scary
- Prayers For Trump! Group of Pastors form Prayer Circle with President in the Oval