In a campaign that is increasingly being defined by the public’s weariness with inequality and aspects of free trade, the labor movement has settled on Hillary Clinton as its presumptive presidential preference. The labor movement is fucking up.
Though unions have woefully declined in power over the course of the past generation, they still represent the biggest unified force of average workers in the political sphere. In the Democratic primary, Hillary Clinton definitively won the union endorsement race over Bernie Sanders months ago. Though Sanders’ policies are objectively closer to the ones that the labor movement calls for, many major unions made the political calculation that Hillary is the likely nominee and the best chance for a Democratic White House, and that it would be wise to get on board with her early on.
In the past few months, the landscape has changed. Donald Trump’s nomination is now a distinct probability. Bernie Sanders, who has steadily polled well against Donald Trump in a head-to-head matchup, is still in the race, and engenders a level of grassroots enthusiasm that Hillary does not. After an early wave of union endorsements that mostly went for Hillary, the AFL-CIO decided not to endorse anyone at all in the primary, in a nod to the strength of Sanders’ support. The labor movement could be excused for looking at the political situation as it stands today and wondering why the hell they didn’t endorse Bernie Sanders early on—because if Trump gets nominated, Bernie Sanders could actually win the White House, making him the most pro-labor president in living memory.
Read more: Gawker
- Poll: David Hogg Has Officially Become Irrelevant — Do You LOVE This?
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- Santa Fe School Shooter Killed High School Crush During Attack
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- Rape Victim’s Revenge: Woman Cuts Off Her Rapist’s Penis, Flushes it Down the Toilet and Beats Him to Death with a Hammer
- RETALIATION: Egypt Bombs the Cr*p out of the Islamic State in Response to the Beheadings of Coptic Christians
- ‘Caravan’ of Refugees Climb U.S.-Mexico Border While Chanting, “Yes We Can!”
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- JUST AS EVIL: Women of Islamic State Are More Brutal than the Men for Doing This
- WATCH: Liberal Politician Wants to Make it Illegal to Manufacture Semi-Automatic Rifles, ‘Get Them Out Of Our Communities’
- Haiti Tells Clinton Foundation to Keep Their Charity–Don’t Want ANOTHER Scam
- BLACK MEN ARE GODS: Jay Z Reps Bling from the Five Percent Nation Religious Group
- Formerly Known Boy Scouts Loses Over 400,000 Members
- Watch: Sexuality Expert Says Parents Need to ask Permission to Change Baby’s Diaper
- HOUSE PARTY KILLER: Called Friend After Murdering Ex-Girlfriend to Ask ‘How He Should Kill Himself’ [VIDEO]
- ‘I’M WORRIED ABOUT YOU’: Watch Jon Stewart Call Out Wolf Blitzer’s Baltimore Blunder
- Maine Democrats Support Female Genital Mutilation — Squash Bill to Criminalize it