Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey Friday visited the Navajo Nation reservation’s capital Window Rock to celebrate the Native Americans whose indecipherable language helped keep messages secret from enemies during World War II.
The event though was met by a protest regarding the federal government’s response to a toxic spill into rivers considered a lifeline for reservation and halted use of water for residential and agricultural use.
According to Native News, McCain and Ducey met with Navajo Nation President Russell Begaye and Vice President Jonathan Nez to discuss the creation of a Navajo Code Talkers Museum.
But the recent spill of millions of gallons of contaminated wastewater into the Animas and San Juan Rivers by a contractor doing work for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ended up being the focus for the tribal leaders.
“I keep saying when are we going to hear from the White House? Not a word,” Begaye said, according to Native News. “When somebody wins the Super Bowl or an NBA Championship, they get a call, right? And when something like this happens and people are suffering, nothing.”
“This is just one mine out of hundreds and there’s no Superfund designation,” Vice President Nez said. “Right now, we don’t trust the U.S. EPA’s data and their collection.”
Video purports to show protesters “chasing McCain off the Navajo Nation” while they yelled “get off our land.”
Read more: The Blaze
- Rand Paul: Donald Trump was ‘Large Financial Backer’ of Haiti Mission Trips When he Was Private Citizen [Watch]
- Senator Says Trump Never Made ‘S***hole’ Comment [Watch]
- Man Who Sent Hawaii into a Panic Over Ballistic Missile Warning “Feels Really Bad”
- Condoleezza Rice: The #MeToo Movement Will Turn ‘Women into Snowflakes’
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Millions Of Gun Owners Become Criminals in California
- Watch: Chelsea Manning is Running for Senate and the Campaign Ad Will Make You Cry with Laughter
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Activists Destroy H&M Store Over Racist Advert [Video]
- Poll: ‘No More’ Aid to Pakistan — Do You Agree With Trump?
- SHARK BAIT: Great White Shark Feeds Just Feet from Cape Cod Shore [WATCH]
- Photo Gallery
- Lock Them Up: Trump Demands Jail for Huma Abedin and Investigation into Comey
- Armed Guards Surround Women’s March, As They Protest Gun Rights…
- Oprah: Supports Jihad, Genocide, and Falsely Accuses People of Racism
- U.N. Labels President Trump a ‘Racist’
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act