Republicans — and Trump — take center stage, and here’s what to expect
CLEVELAND — One of us is here just outside of the first Republican debate of the 2016 presidential cycle, and the atmosphere is … electric. All of the media, TV trucks, conversation — it feels more like a political convention or general-election debate than your first primary-season debate. And rest assured, it will probably get the largest TV audience for a primary-season debate, at least for one held on cable TV. Here is what to expect from each of the 10 GOP candidates participating:
- Donald Trump: With all eyes on him, he’s smartly downplayed expectations and has emphasized that he intends to play nice. But he also has to deliver the same toughness and channel the same anger fueling his rise in the GOP polls.
- Jeb Bush: As we wrote yesterday, maybe no one has more on the line than Bush does. He’s had a rough last week — especially as Hillary Clinton has used him as a punching bag. And here’s the thing: He’s the most well-known unknown person (due to his last name) on that debate stage.
- Scott Walker: He has the buzz and the record, but does he look the part? That will be his biggest challenge of the night.
- Marco Rubio: Ditto. And he can’t afford to disappear at the debate — as he has disappeared from the 2016 scene these past few weeks.
- Mike Huckabee: If you want to place an early bet on the best performer of the night, Huckabee would be a smart call. He is the only one of the 10 who has actually participated in a presidential debate before. And he was routinely the best performer in the 2007-2008 debates.
- Ted Cruz: Can he handle the 60-second time limits and come across a bite more likeable than his perception, especially in DC?
- Ben Carson: His low-key demeanor could be a weakness. Can he display some fire and passion that don’t come across in his interviews?
- Chris Christie: He’s used to being the center of attention, but can he handle being on the outside looking in? How does he assert himself?
- John Kasich: Ditto.
- Rand Paul: Make no mistake: The Jesse Benton indictment has rocked the Ron/Rand Paul World, and the campaign needs a major pick-me-up from this debate.
First impressions are everything
Remember, while we’ve been following these GOP candidates for months, this debate is going to be the first impression that many Americans — and Republican voters — get of them. As a result, there’s a fine line between trying to be the Alpha Dog and looking desperate. This is maybe one of the reasons why first debates TYPICALLY have so few actual fireworks. The fireworks usually come at the later debates. One last point here: So far, the normal rules haven’t applied to Donald Trump. Just look at the two Republicans who tried to pick a fight with him: Rick Perry and Lindsey Graham. They didn’t make the main debate. Let’s rock-n-roll in Cleveland. The main debate starts on Fox News at 9:00 pm ET, and the earlier debate (for the candidates who didn’t make the main event) starts at 5:00 pm ET.
Read more: NBC News
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- President Trump Believes Teachers Should be Armed to “Immediately” Shoot Sickos — Do You Agree?
- WATCH: Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart and Jimmy Fallon Just Performed the Most Epic Lip Sync Battle
- IT’S RACIST: CNN Anchor Calls for the Removal of the Jefferson Memorial Because…
- President Trump Hammers #MeToo Movement — Do You Agree With Him?
- Lutheran Church Celebrates Transgender Pastor’s Transition, Throws a ‘Renaming’ Ceremony
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- The cop-killer bullet myth
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- Religion Of Peacer RAPES Little Girl, Years Later She Returns … With A VENGEANCE
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment