They may have hoped to win over viewers with their principles and policies – but Republican presidential candidates weren’t short on one-liners, either, in their first major clash.
Donald Trump, Chris Christie, Mike Huckabee and Rand Paul all had a zinger up their sleeves in the lengthy clash Thursday night at the Quicken Loans arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
Even more demure candidates like Jeb Bush and Scott Walker managed to raise a laugh alongside those famous for running their mouths, with less popular candidates in their first-round debates distinguishing themselves as well.
The former Arkansas governor, 59, made a self-deprecating jibe about his own age while attacking the state of investment in the U.S. military.
He said: ‘A lot of the B-52s we’re flying, we’ve only got 44 in service combat ready, and the fact is most of them are older than me… and that’s pretty scary’.
The outspoken New Jersey governor had harsh words for Kentucky senator Rand Paul when the two clashed over NSA collection of phone records.
Paul said that he wanted to stop bulk collection and only target those whom authorities already suspect of wrongdoing – which Christie said was impractical and ‘ridiculous’.
But when Paul yelled ‘get a warrant!’ at him, Christie responded: ‘Listen Senator, you know, when you’re sitting in a subcommittee just blowing hot air about this, you can say things like that.
‘When you’re responsible for protecting the lives of the American people, then what you need to do is to make sure you use the system the way it’s supposed to work.’
Usually known as the straight man, Bush managed to inject a burst of humor – and a Sopranos reference – when describing his record while governor of Florida.
Bush said: ‘They call me Veto Corleone… because I vetoed 2,500 separate line items in the budget.’
The pun refers to Vito Corleone, the top New York mafioso in the Godfather films. He has used the joke before, but it still played well among the audience.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- WATCH: Ted Nugent Goes After David Hogg — ‘So Brainwashed’ He Can’t ‘be Fixed’
- Colorado Passes New Conceal Carry Bill That Will Have Gun-Grabbers Freaking
- AUDIO: Police Release Starbucks Recording that Proves Racism is NOT the Issue, Entitlement is
- WATCH: CNN Busted on Gun-Control Agenda, On Their Own Network
- Bill Clinton: NY Times and Trump Colluded to Defeat Hillary
- Target: Man in Woman’s Bathroom Exposes Himself to Child
- 2 Men Guilty of Gang Raping 13-Year-Old Girl Sentenced to Probation
- WATCH: Body-Cam Footage Released of Police Hunting Down Las Vegas Shooter Stephen Paddock
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- VIDEO: Armed Citizen Kills Restaurant Shooter
- BREAKING: FBI Files Linking Hillary Clinton to SUICIDE of White House Council Vince Foster Go MISSING
- WATCH: The Moment #Ferguson Thug Pulled Out his Gun to Shoot at Cops
- SPRING BREAK HORRORS: Cops on the Search for Naked Female ‘Who May Be in Danger’ after Seen Trying to Flee Group of Guys
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- Formerly Known Boy Scouts Loses Over 400,000 Members
- WATCH: The Video Gun Controllers Are Terrified Of
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?