Two ISIS sympathizers were arrested after they threatened to carry out a terrorist attack on a military base that has a U.S. presence, Italian prosecutors said Wednesday.
The men – a Tunisian and a Pakistani national – are accused of targeting Ghedi Air Base, near the northern city of Brescia, which is home to the 704th Munitions Maintenance Squadron of the U.S. Air Force.
Prosecutor Maurizio Romanelli told a press conference in Milan that the suspects had also planned to travel to Syria to join up with ISIS and participate in training.
Romanelli said the men did not have any weapons nor the capability to carry out an attack. But on a Twitter account they had posted messages identifying Ghedi Air Base, Milan’s Duomo and Rome’s Colosseum as potential targets, The Associated Press reported.
The men were named at the news conference as Briki Lassaad, born in Kairouan, Tunisia, and Waqas Muhammad, born in Gujarat.
Read more: NBC News
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- Hillary Clinton & Co. About to be Stripped of Security Clearance
- Migrants Kill Motorist by Dragging Tree-Trunks to Stop Traffic, Hijack Cars
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- Why We Carry: Man Punches Girl 39 Times in Empty Parking Lot After ‘Laying in Wait’ [WATCH]
- When Marco Met Ivanka: The Most Awkward Hug in Political History
- GROSS! What Women are Doing in the Name of Feminism Will Make You Puke
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Watch: Dude Performs Erotic Drag Show for Elementary & Middle School Kids
- Chelsea Clinton Falls For Bannon’s Joke — Goes On Bizarre Twitter Rant
- Terrorist Knifeman Attacks Cop at Airport Shouts ‘Allahu Akbar’ [VIDEO]
- WATCH: Massive Gunfight Breaks Out, What Would You Have Done?
- Trump Sends Kim Jong-un a Loud and Clear Message After Otto’s Death
- Trevor Noah Targets NRA: ‘How Does a Black Person Not Get Shot in America?’ [VIDEO]
- New Report Exposes Millions of Illegal Immigrants Have Voted in U.S. Elections
- Photo Gallery