Costumes were scarier back in the day. They just were. Back before Halloween was sexy, before it was owned by Disney, back before everyone realized you’ll still get candy no matter how little effort you put into your costume. Here are 18 costume ideas, each offering its own bit of advice on how to add some horrible to your Halloween.
1. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE TERROR OF A FILTHY, GLEEFUL SMILE.
He puts the laughter in manslaughter.
2. CLOWNS ARE SCARIER WITHOUT RAINBOW WIGS.
“My head handle is prettier than your head handle.”
3. WHEN SEEKING TO INSPIRE TERROR, QUANTITY IS QUALITY.
“Might I call your attention to the center ring, where our Circus of the Damned performers are currently gathering to eat your souls!”
4. LADIES, PUT SOME EFFORT INTO THOSE “SEXY” COSTUMES. THEY CAN BE TERRIFYING.
“Helloooooo! My eyes are up h-… oh, nevermind. You’re good.”
5. YOUR COSTUME NEED NOT BE ELABORATE, AS LONG AS YOU INCLUDE A GIANT RAT ACCESSORY.