June 21, 2015 is Father’s Day in the United States. It was invented by Sonora Smart Dodd, whose single father, American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, raised her and her five siblings. It was first celebrated on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington, two years after the first Mother’s Day was celebrated in Grafton, West Virginia. But while Mother’s Day was proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914, Father’s Day didn’t wasn’t recognized until 1966 when President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaimed it.
Read on for more about the history of Father’s Day:
5. Why Is It ‘Father’s Day’ & Not ‘Fathers’ Day?’
When Dodd first started promoting the holiday to get it established as a national holiday, she spelled it as “Fathers’ Day”, meaning fathers everywhere.
But when a first attempt of passing a bill by Congress for Dodd’s day was tried, it was misspelled as “Father’s Day.” This precedence was retained for every attempt of passing the bill until Nixon finally established it.
4. Neckties Are the Most Common Gift
Neckties are the most common Father’s Day gift. According to The Holiday Spot’s “History and Tradition of Necktie”:
…neckties started appearing on the earliest Father’s Day greeting cards and retailers sniffed a golden opportunity in this, suggesting this as a great practical gift. And since then the Necktie has been the most popular Father’s Day Gift with children vying to gift the most beautiful and stylish tie to their dad every year. And gift sellers make the most of this traditional and emotional attachment by putting their workmanship to good use, infusing newer designs and introducing latest styles into the much loved neck cloth during Father’s Day.
3. The Date Varies By Country
While in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Canada, China, France, Greece, and others, Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June, it’s not like that everywhere in the world. However, because the United States created Father’s Day, it did set that precedence.Other dates its commonly held are March 19 and June 21.
Typical celebrations for Father’s Day include giving cards and other gifts to the paternal figure in the family.
Read more: heavy.com
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- WATCH: Body-Cam Footage Released of Police Hunting Down Las Vegas Shooter Stephen Paddock
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- WATCH: Liberal Politician Wants to Make it Illegal to Manufacture Semi-Automatic Rifles, ‘Get Them Out Of Our Communities’
- FLASHBACK: When Trump Said McCain Was NOT a War Hero–He Was RIGHT
- Media Bias and Anti-NRA Protests Causes Massive Spike in NRA Membership
- WATCH: Chick Accuses Cop of Racism, Then the Body Camera Footage is Released
- PRINCESS OR QUEEN: THE 11 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DATING A GIRL VS A WOMAN