June 21, 2015 is Father’s Day in the United States. It was invented by Sonora Smart Dodd, whose single father, American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, raised her and her five siblings. It was first celebrated on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington, two years after the first Mother’s Day was celebrated in Grafton, West Virginia. But while Mother’s Day was proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914, Father’s Day didn’t wasn’t recognized until 1966 when President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaimed it.
Read on for more about the history of Father’s Day:
5. Why Is It ‘Father’s Day’ & Not ‘Fathers’ Day?’
When Dodd first started promoting the holiday to get it established as a national holiday, she spelled it as “Fathers’ Day”, meaning fathers everywhere.
But when a first attempt of passing a bill by Congress for Dodd’s day was tried, it was misspelled as “Father’s Day.” This precedence was retained for every attempt of passing the bill until Nixon finally established it.
4. Neckties Are the Most Common Gift
Neckties are the most common Father’s Day gift. According to The Holiday Spot’s “History and Tradition of Necktie”:
…neckties started appearing on the earliest Father’s Day greeting cards and retailers sniffed a golden opportunity in this, suggesting this as a great practical gift. And since then the Necktie has been the most popular Father’s Day Gift with children vying to gift the most beautiful and stylish tie to their dad every year. And gift sellers make the most of this traditional and emotional attachment by putting their workmanship to good use, infusing newer designs and introducing latest styles into the much loved neck cloth during Father’s Day.
3. The Date Varies By Country
While in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Canada, China, France, Greece, and others, Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June, it’s not like that everywhere in the world. However, because the United States created Father’s Day, it did set that precedence.Other dates its commonly held are March 19 and June 21.
Typical celebrations for Father’s Day include giving cards and other gifts to the paternal figure in the family.
Read more: heavy.com
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Fast & Furious Eric Holder Attacks Trump for Corruption
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Female Hunter Commits Suicide After Being Threatened by Animal Rights Activists
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Chick Kills Her 14yr-Old Sister While Driving Under Influence and Live Streams it, ‘I killed my sister, but I don’t care.’ [Video]
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Maryland’s Gun Ban to be Reviewed by Supreme Court…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- ‘Religion of Peace’ Imam Preaches “O Muslim, O Servant of Allah, There is a Jew Behind me, Come And KILL HIM”
- Nominee for FBI Director Claims Trump Never Asked for Loyalty From Him [Video]
- You Will Want to Boycott Edible Arrangements After You Find Out What They’re Doing for HAMAS