June 21, 2015 is Father’s Day in the United States. It was invented by Sonora Smart Dodd, whose single father, American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, raised her and her five siblings. It was first celebrated on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington, two years after the first Mother’s Day was celebrated in Grafton, West Virginia. But while Mother’s Day was proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914, Father’s Day didn’t wasn’t recognized until 1966 when President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaimed it.
Read on for more about the history of Father’s Day:
5. Why Is It ‘Father’s Day’ & Not ‘Fathers’ Day?’
When Dodd first started promoting the holiday to get it established as a national holiday, she spelled it as “Fathers’ Day”, meaning fathers everywhere.
But when a first attempt of passing a bill by Congress for Dodd’s day was tried, it was misspelled as “Father’s Day.” This precedence was retained for every attempt of passing the bill until Nixon finally established it.
4. Neckties Are the Most Common Gift
Neckties are the most common Father’s Day gift. According to The Holiday Spot’s “History and Tradition of Necktie”:
…neckties started appearing on the earliest Father’s Day greeting cards and retailers sniffed a golden opportunity in this, suggesting this as a great practical gift. And since then the Necktie has been the most popular Father’s Day Gift with children vying to gift the most beautiful and stylish tie to their dad every year. And gift sellers make the most of this traditional and emotional attachment by putting their workmanship to good use, infusing newer designs and introducing latest styles into the much loved neck cloth during Father’s Day.
3. The Date Varies By Country
While in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Canada, China, France, Greece, and others, Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June, it’s not like that everywhere in the world. However, because the United States created Father’s Day, it did set that precedence.Other dates its commonly held are March 19 and June 21.
Typical celebrations for Father’s Day include giving cards and other gifts to the paternal figure in the family.
Read more: heavy.com
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- Self-Defense When Bugging Out: 7 Tips to Keep In Mind
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]
- California Gunman Kevin Janson Neal had History of Violence, Instability
- Texas Shooting Survivors Say Kelley Targeted Children — Would Shoot Them at…
- A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE: Syrian Rebels Release a Video of Them Shooting Islamic State Militants
- Senator Al Fraken Caught Sexually Harassing a Model
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- THE KILL LIST: Islamic State has Released List of American Cities They Plan on Attacking
- TERRIFYING: Family Trapped in Their Vehicle as LIONS Fight Over Carcass Under the WHEEL
- Texas Shooting: Two Heroes Who Chased Down Shooter Reveal What Happened
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]