June 21, 2015 is Father’s Day in the United States. It was invented by Sonora Smart Dodd, whose single father, American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, raised her and her five siblings. It was first celebrated on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington, two years after the first Mother’s Day was celebrated in Grafton, West Virginia. But while Mother’s Day was proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914, Father’s Day didn’t wasn’t recognized until 1966 when President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaimed it.
Read on for more about the history of Father’s Day:
5. Why Is It ‘Father’s Day’ & Not ‘Fathers’ Day?’
When Dodd first started promoting the holiday to get it established as a national holiday, she spelled it as “Fathers’ Day”, meaning fathers everywhere.
But when a first attempt of passing a bill by Congress for Dodd’s day was tried, it was misspelled as “Father’s Day.” This precedence was retained for every attempt of passing the bill until Nixon finally established it.
4. Neckties Are the Most Common Gift
Neckties are the most common Father’s Day gift. According to The Holiday Spot’s “History and Tradition of Necktie”:
…neckties started appearing on the earliest Father’s Day greeting cards and retailers sniffed a golden opportunity in this, suggesting this as a great practical gift. And since then the Necktie has been the most popular Father’s Day Gift with children vying to gift the most beautiful and stylish tie to their dad every year. And gift sellers make the most of this traditional and emotional attachment by putting their workmanship to good use, infusing newer designs and introducing latest styles into the much loved neck cloth during Father’s Day.
3. The Date Varies By Country
While in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Canada, China, France, Greece, and others, Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June, it’s not like that everywhere in the world. However, because the United States created Father’s Day, it did set that precedence.Other dates its commonly held are March 19 and June 21.
Typical celebrations for Father’s Day include giving cards and other gifts to the paternal figure in the family.
Read more: heavy.com
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- ANTIFA: Violence is Necessary
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act
- Hurricane Harvey Dumps 11 Trillion Gallons of Water on Houston, Thousands of People are…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- MSM Tries Denying Trump Killed it at G20, But Foreign Press Comes to the Rescue
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ‘YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WEDDINGS’: Little Flower Girl Tries Her Best to Explain Weddings to Her Dad [WATCH]
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…