June 21, 2015 is Father’s Day in the United States. It was invented by Sonora Smart Dodd, whose single father, American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, raised her and her five siblings. It was first celebrated on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington, two years after the first Mother’s Day was celebrated in Grafton, West Virginia. But while Mother’s Day was proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914, Father’s Day didn’t wasn’t recognized until 1966 when President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaimed it.
Read on for more about the history of Father’s Day:
5. Why Is It ‘Father’s Day’ & Not ‘Fathers’ Day?’
When Dodd first started promoting the holiday to get it established as a national holiday, she spelled it as “Fathers’ Day”, meaning fathers everywhere.
But when a first attempt of passing a bill by Congress for Dodd’s day was tried, it was misspelled as “Father’s Day.” This precedence was retained for every attempt of passing the bill until Nixon finally established it.
4. Neckties Are the Most Common Gift
Neckties are the most common Father’s Day gift. According to The Holiday Spot’s “History and Tradition of Necktie”:
…neckties started appearing on the earliest Father’s Day greeting cards and retailers sniffed a golden opportunity in this, suggesting this as a great practical gift. And since then the Necktie has been the most popular Father’s Day Gift with children vying to gift the most beautiful and stylish tie to their dad every year. And gift sellers make the most of this traditional and emotional attachment by putting their workmanship to good use, infusing newer designs and introducing latest styles into the much loved neck cloth during Father’s Day.
3. The Date Varies By Country
While in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Canada, China, France, Greece, and others, Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June, it’s not like that everywhere in the world. However, because the United States created Father’s Day, it did set that precedence.Other dates its commonly held are March 19 and June 21.
Typical celebrations for Father’s Day include giving cards and other gifts to the paternal figure in the family.
Read more: heavy.com
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Watch: CNN Does Its Job and Corrects Fake News Democrats
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Three Thugs Were Just Arrested for Stealing Guns in Baton Rouge–Posed ‘Credible Threat’ to Harm Police…
- Watch: Psychologist Leaves Reporter Speechless Defending the Right to Free Speech vs. Someone’s ‘Right’ To Not Be Offended
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- ALERT: Intel Officer Claims Obama Would be First Former President to be Charged with a FELONY if…
- Photo Gallery
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- WALK OF SHAME: ISIS Commander Forced to Walk Nude to His Execution