What did the University of Illinois find so offensive about honoring the victims of 9/11?
It took a public campaign via Facbook and old-fashioned telephone calls to get university officials to relent and take back a decision to try to stop a conservative group on campus from honoring those who died the day terrorists hijackers flew commercial airliners packed with passengers into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
Only the courage of passengers aboard a fourth hijacked plane prevented the attack from being even worse.
On Sunday, the College Republicans of the the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign announced its intention to hold a flag-planting ceremony at the university quad Friday, in remembrance of those who lost their lives in the 9/11 terror attack.
The idea was to plant one American flag foreach of the victims who died that day — 2,977 flags in all.
The Illini Republicans announced the event on its Facebook page, stating:
Next Friday we will honor the 2,977 victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks by placing a flag for each of the victims on the Quad. Anyone interested in helping us with our memorial should fill out the form connected to the link below:
Two days later, however, the students hit a snag, and posted:
Developing Story: University of Illinois denies College Republicans permission to plant American Flags on the Quad for a 9/11 remembrance project. More details soon.
The group was sent an email denying their request to plant the flags, citing “irrigation” concerns. A school representative wrote, according to Truth Revolt:
I wanted to follow up with you regarding your event on 9/11 to see if you had any questions. When we met we discussed that no flags were going to go into the ground as that is against policy, but we also discussed alternatives into what you could do in which you appeared to be in favor of. I wanted to touch base to make sure that there were no other questions or concerns you had regarding the event.
This is what is outlined here:
• Explained to you that it was against University Policy to stick anything in the ground due to the irrigation system and provided you with options as to what you could do as an alternative that involved using cups with sand and sticking the flags in them or foam with the same idea as well as cardboard or any other foundation or acceptable alternative that did not involve placing items in the ground.
• I suggested that you expand the flags throughout the quad instead of just in an isolated area, which you seemed very happy with that idea at the time of our meeting.
• The event has been approved to continue on the basis on what we discussed and agreed upon and that was not to place anything in the ground.
Please let me know what questions you have or if there are any concerns from this point on as again your event is getting nearer and I want to make sure that you have a very successful and fun experience.
Read more: bizpacreview.com
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Trump Retaliates After Democrat ‘Fabricated’ Slain Soldier Story — He Has Proof
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- Joy Behar Forbids Attacks on Comedians Because ‘We’re Important People Right Now’ [WATCH]
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- Sean Diddy Combs Tweets NFL ‘I… Have a Dream’ Message — Far From Martin Luther King Jr.’s Speech
- Bro Swims Out to GREAT WHITE SHARK…Watch What Happens
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Chelsea Clinton Makes the Most OBNOXIOUS Comment Why Hillary Lost…GET OVER YOURSELF!
- Conceal Carrier Avoids Deadly Armed Robbery With One Quick Move [WATCH]
- WATCH: Moment Hero Cops Stopped and Killed Walmart Gunman, While Taking Fire, Caught on Camera