A priest in Ann Arbor has told his parishioners to arm themselves, and is holding a concealed pistol license course in his church.
Rev. Edward Fride told the church that he believed it was necessary for the parishioners to arm themselves due to the recent rise of violent crime in the area. Last month, during Palm Sunday mass, Fride announced the parish would be holding a CPL class.
Some parishioners questioned the decision, leading Fride to send out a pro-gun letter entitled “We’re not in Mayberry Anymore, Toto.” Through references to the fictional town from the popular 1960’s Andy Griffith Show and Toto from The Wizard of Oz, Fride explained that Christians often have false assumptions about their safety because of their faith.
“It is very common for Christians to simply assume that they live in Mayberry, trusting that because they know the Lord Jesus, everything will always be fine and nothing bad can happen to them and their families,” Fride wrote.
“How to balance faith, reality, prudence, and trust is one of those critical questions that we struggle with all our lives. Pretending we are in Mayberry, while we are clearly not, can have very negative consequences for ourselves and those we love, especially those we have a responsibility to protect. If we are not in Mayberry, is there a real threat?”
Fride told his parish that Catholicism does not preclude the carrying of a gun for self-defense. He cited that due to financial difficulties the area has experienced “a significant reduction in the availability of an armed police response.”
Others in the church disagree with Fride. Earl Boyea, a Lansing Catholic Bishop, stressed that guns do not belong in church. The Diocese of Lansing overseas the Ann Arbor parish.
In a statement released by Lansing Dioceses spokesperson Michael Diebold, it was made clear that Boyea “has never given permission for anyone to carry a concealed weapon in a church or school in the Diocese of Lansing,”
Read more: The Federalist Papers
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- When You’re Trying to Riot and Your Mom Shows Up [WATCH]
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- ALL THE SECRETS? JFK Assassination Files to be Released
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- ALLEN WEST: Quite Possibly The Most Racist Article You Will Ever Read