The United States has accepted only a small fraction of the four million refugees who have fled Syria. But they are settling in new places, and more are on the way.
Since the Syrian conflict began four years ago, just 1,854 Syrian refugees have been admitted to the United States.
The refugees who have arrived from Syria since 2012 have been placed in 130 towns and cities. They are among the most vulnerable people in the war: single mothers and their children; religious minorities; victims of violence or torture.
Some of them have reached large cities like Houston, but most have been sent to more affordable, medium-size cities by the nine voluntary agencies that handle refugee resettlement. Boise, Idaho, has accepted more refugees than New York and Los Angeles combined; Worcester, Mass., has taken in more than Boston.
President Obama has said the United States will accept five times as many Syrian refugees this year as the total admitted over the last four years.
Under pressure from Europe and other countries confronting the global migration crisis, Mr. Obama has raised the number of Syrian refugees who will be offered legal status to at least 10,000 this fiscal year.
Some cities and towns have resisted. In Duncan, S.C., residents and elected officials argue that the federal government cannot possibly screen out terrorists, and some say that more Muslim immigrants would threaten American culture.
But the United States has admitted only small numbers of Syrian refugees compared with other countries.
Syrians still account for a small share of all refugees admitted in the United States.
Syrians made up about 2 percent of the 70,000 refugees admitted during the last fiscal year. The three largest refugee groups were from Myanmar, Iraq and Somalia.
The United States has also admitted far larger numbers in the past. In 1979, it provided sanctuary to 111,000 Vietnamese refugees, and in 1980, it added another 207,000. Around the same time, the country took in more than 120,000 Cuban refugees during the Mariel boatlift, including around 80,000 in one month alone.
Top 15 countries of origin for refugees admitted in fiscal year 2015
- White House Hosts Ramadan Dinner, Trump was a No Show
- Is This How Otto Warmbier Was Put In A Comma? Leaked Footage Shows North Korean Officials Beating A Woman Senseless For…
- Watch: Chuck Schumer Hammered on Senate Floor for Lying About Trump Being Under Investigation
- CNN Retracts Their Fake Russia/Trump News — Instantly Trolled [LOL]
- 16-Month-Old Killed After Thug Father Viciously…
- Question: Should Lawmakers Investigate James Comey and Robert Mueller?
- Bill Nye Writer Willing To Accept Deaths of “Old Ass Conservative White Men” If It Leads To Gun Control
- Trump’s Travel Ban Reinstated by Supreme Court
- North Korea Claims They’re the ‘Victim’ in Otto Warmbier’s Death
- Watch: Fed Up Drivers vs. Liberal Ding-Bats Blocking Traffic
- Democrat on Scalise Shooting: ‘I’m F**king Glad He Got Shot’ [AUDIO]
- Watch: Thug Couple Beats Restaurant Owner and Her Daughter Over ‘Cold Chicken’
- Video: Muslim Man Attacks Woman In Broad Daylight Because She Was Wearing…
- WaPo Publishes Fact-less Story Thomas Jefferson ‘Celebrated Ramadan’
- Obama Judge Releases MS-13 Gang Member On The Biases Of…
- Report: Why Firing Nancy Pelosi is Harder Than it Sounds
- Watch: One Person’s Fit of Road Rage Backfires, Cause Insane Chain Reaction
- Socialist Bernie Sanders & Wife Under Bank Fraud Investigation by the FBI