A Northern California sheriff’s deputy died Thursday while saving a friend in Lake Tahoe who had jumped into the water to save a friend, authorities said.
Deputy Sheriff Carlos Francies, 30, of Sacramento died Thursday after he jumped into deep lake water about 3 p.m. on a day with strong gusty winds. He was not wearing a life jacket, South Lake Tahoe police said. And a high wind warning for Lake Tahoe had been issued, with forecasts of winds gusting to 40mph.
The friend he went to help survived.
The agency is “devastated by the death,” Contra Costa County Sheriff’s spokesman Jimmy Lee said at a Friday news conference. He added that the department sends its “deepest condolences” to Francies’ friends, family and colleagues. “We’ve lost one of our family members.”
As South Lake Tahoe Police Lt. Brian Williams explained it, Francies was visiting South Lake Tahoe with family and friends, spending the afternoon on El Dorado Beach near the intersection of US Highway 50 and Lakeview Avenue.
Francies and his girlfriend, his sister and another male friend had rented paddles and kayaks near the beach. Francies and his girlfriend were on the paddle boards, while his sister and the other man were on kayaks, Williams said.
All four were in the lake, more than a hundred yards off shore, in water that was about 15 feet deep. Francies’ sister was the only one of the four who had donned a life jacket, Williams said.
Francies saw his sister fall off of her kayak. His friend jumped off his own kayak to help her.
While doing so, the deputy’s own kayak drifted off, Williams said. And he tried to retrieve it by swimming while clutching a paddle.
Read more: nbcbayarea.com
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- VETPAW: Anti-Poaching Unit Shut-Down because this Woman Said…
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act
- Hurricane Harvey Dumps 11 Trillion Gallons of Water on Houston, Thousands of People are…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- MSM Tries Denying Trump Killed it at G20, But Foreign Press Comes to the Rescue
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ‘YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WEDDINGS’: Little Flower Girl Tries Her Best to Explain Weddings to Her Dad [WATCH]
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…