Hillary Clinton, in an interview Monday with TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie, voiced her frustration with the process surrounding the Benghazi committee, lambasting the panel for turning the hearing into a “partisan political issue.”
“The real issue here is what happened to four brave Americans,” the White House hopeful said from New Hampshire, just minutes before joining TODAY’s Pancakes & Politics town hall.
A visibly agitated Clinton discussed an upcoming congressional hearing on Benghazi, which House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy has suggested was created with political motivations. When asked if she would have gone after Republicans such as former Vice President Dick Cheney if tables were turned, Clinton insisted: “I would never have done that.”
“This committee was set up, as they have admitted, for the purpose of making a partisan political issue out of the deaths of four Americans,” she said. “I would never have done that, and if I were president and there were Republicans or Democrats thinking about that, I would have done everything to shut it down.”
She pointed out that seven investigations, led mostly by Congressional Republicans, have looked into the issue and cleared her of any wrongdoing.
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) October 5, 2015
During the live town hall, she discussed details of her sweeping gun control proposal that she promised would close a critical “gun show loophole.”
“I really do want to push hard to get more sensible restraints on gun ownership in the wrong hands and then to try to keep track of people who shouldn’t have guns,” she said, adding that she wants to “work with Congress” to do so.
But her proposal would allow her to take administrative action to tighten gun control laws if lawmakers do not.
“We need universal background checks. We know that they will work. We need to close what’s called the Charleston loophole,” she said, referring to a provision in law that allows potential gun buyers to purchase weapons if background checks aren’t completed within three days. Clinton pointed out that’s how South Carolina church shooter Dylann Roof purchased the gun he used in his rampage despite his criminal record.
Earlier, Savannah brought up Clinton’s appearance on “Saturday Night Live” in a political skit, playing a bartender who served up drinks and comfort to a pretend version of herself. The skit poked fun of Clinton’s problem of being seen as likable, trustworthy and driven by public opinion.
Read more: Today
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- The Man Obama Rescued: Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Pleads Guilty to…
- WATCH: Hillary Clinton Greeted by a Swarm of ‘Boos’
- Conceal Carrier Avoids Deadly Armed Robbery With One Quick Move [WATCH]
- WATCH: Nancy Pelosi Goes on Tirade Against Trump’s Executive Order, Busted for Not Reading It [LOL]
- Report: Hillary Might Teach at Columbia — Social Media Explodes With Hilarious Reaction
- Are Bromances a Threat to Heterosexual Couples? One Study is Saying ‘Yes’
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- Gun Grabbing ‘Logic’: Dianne Feinstein Claims Constitution Does NOT Protect Conceal Carry — All 40 Million Americans She Represents Would Never Want a… [VIDEO]
- ‘Taliban’ Hostages Return Home Revealing Gruesome Details — Reason Why They Were in Afghanistan Still Suspicious [Video]
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- Worst Mass Shooting in American History: Kills at Least 50, Hundreds More Injured
- Ladies, This is The Real Reason You Need to Learn How to Protect Yourself [LOL Video]
- LOL: Ben Carson Makes Maxine Waters Look Foolish Over Puerto Rican Recovery [WATCH]