Hillary Clinton, in an interview Monday with TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie, voiced her frustration with the process surrounding the Benghazi committee, lambasting the panel for turning the hearing into a “partisan political issue.”
“The real issue here is what happened to four brave Americans,” the White House hopeful said from New Hampshire, just minutes before joining TODAY’s Pancakes & Politics town hall.
A visibly agitated Clinton discussed an upcoming congressional hearing on Benghazi, which House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy has suggested was created with political motivations. When asked if she would have gone after Republicans such as former Vice President Dick Cheney if tables were turned, Clinton insisted: “I would never have done that.”
“This committee was set up, as they have admitted, for the purpose of making a partisan political issue out of the deaths of four Americans,” she said. “I would never have done that, and if I were president and there were Republicans or Democrats thinking about that, I would have done everything to shut it down.”
She pointed out that seven investigations, led mostly by Congressional Republicans, have looked into the issue and cleared her of any wrongdoing.
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) October 5, 2015
During the live town hall, she discussed details of her sweeping gun control proposal that she promised would close a critical “gun show loophole.”
“I really do want to push hard to get more sensible restraints on gun ownership in the wrong hands and then to try to keep track of people who shouldn’t have guns,” she said, adding that she wants to “work with Congress” to do so.
But her proposal would allow her to take administrative action to tighten gun control laws if lawmakers do not.
“We need universal background checks. We know that they will work. We need to close what’s called the Charleston loophole,” she said, referring to a provision in law that allows potential gun buyers to purchase weapons if background checks aren’t completed within three days. Clinton pointed out that’s how South Carolina church shooter Dylann Roof purchased the gun he used in his rampage despite his criminal record.
Earlier, Savannah brought up Clinton’s appearance on “Saturday Night Live” in a political skit, playing a bartender who served up drinks and comfort to a pretend version of herself. The skit poked fun of Clinton’s problem of being seen as likable, trustworthy and driven by public opinion.
Read more: Today
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Missouri Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal: ‘I Hope Trump Is Assassinated!’
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Pastor is Now Demanding Removal of George Washington Statue Because He Owned Slaves…
- BREAKING: Terror Attack on Pedestrians, Mowed Down by Van — Terrorist Take Hostages at Gun Point
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- Steve Bannon Is Out From White House Position — Was He Fired?
- Clinton Secret Service Agent Drops BOMBSHELL on Hillary & Bill
- WATCH: Armed Black Panthers Chant These 4 Shocking Words Feet from Police
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Report: Government Workers Sold IDs to Illegal Aliens so They Could Vote
- EDEN: A True Story of Sex Slavery in Nevada
- Girl Describes Horrific Testimony of Escaping North Korea [WATCH]
- GOOD JOB DAD: Father Gave his College Daughter a Gun, Saves her Life During Home Invasion
- Black Panther Leader Babu Omowale Claims, We Want Our Own ‘BLACK NATION’
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600