Hillary Clinton, in an interview Monday with TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie, voiced her frustration with the process surrounding the Benghazi committee, lambasting the panel for turning the hearing into a “partisan political issue.”
“The real issue here is what happened to four brave Americans,” the White House hopeful said from New Hampshire, just minutes before joining TODAY’s Pancakes & Politics town hall.
A visibly agitated Clinton discussed an upcoming congressional hearing on Benghazi, which House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy has suggested was created with political motivations. When asked if she would have gone after Republicans such as former Vice President Dick Cheney if tables were turned, Clinton insisted: “I would never have done that.”
“This committee was set up, as they have admitted, for the purpose of making a partisan political issue out of the deaths of four Americans,” she said. “I would never have done that, and if I were president and there were Republicans or Democrats thinking about that, I would have done everything to shut it down.”
She pointed out that seven investigations, led mostly by Congressional Republicans, have looked into the issue and cleared her of any wrongdoing.
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) October 5, 2015
During the live town hall, she discussed details of her sweeping gun control proposal that she promised would close a critical “gun show loophole.”
“I really do want to push hard to get more sensible restraints on gun ownership in the wrong hands and then to try to keep track of people who shouldn’t have guns,” she said, adding that she wants to “work with Congress” to do so.
But her proposal would allow her to take administrative action to tighten gun control laws if lawmakers do not.
“We need universal background checks. We know that they will work. We need to close what’s called the Charleston loophole,” she said, referring to a provision in law that allows potential gun buyers to purchase weapons if background checks aren’t completed within three days. Clinton pointed out that’s how South Carolina church shooter Dylann Roof purchased the gun he used in his rampage despite his criminal record.
Earlier, Savannah brought up Clinton’s appearance on “Saturday Night Live” in a political skit, playing a bartender who served up drinks and comfort to a pretend version of herself. The skit poked fun of Clinton’s problem of being seen as likable, trustworthy and driven by public opinion.
Read more: Today
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- NYC Terrorist Speaks: Christmas Decorations Inspired Him to Attack
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- Photo Gallery
- Pentagon Announces Admission of Transgender Applicants for the Military Starting in 2018
- BREAKING: Eye Witness to Trump Groping Accuser, ‘She Was the One Being Flirtatious’
- BADASS: Bear Gets Into Bloody Fight With Wolves Over Deer Carcass–And The Winner Was…
- Report: Chicago Police Recover Stolen Guns by the Thousands, Attribute Success to…
- Dangerous Standoff With Armed Robber and Father Ends With the Bad Guy Dying
- TRUMP: Democrats Using Fabricated Stories from Women After Failed Russia Collusion Case
- WATCH: Why LIBERAL WOMEN are Saying ‘F–k NO!’ To Voting Hillary — HILARIOUS
- Theresa May Targeted by Islamist Terrorists, Less Than a Week After Criticizing Trump
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- Family of NYC Terrorist Speak Out — They are ‘Outraged’ by NY Police