Hillary Clinton, in an interview Monday with TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie, voiced her frustration with the process surrounding the Benghazi committee, lambasting the panel for turning the hearing into a “partisan political issue.”
“The real issue here is what happened to four brave Americans,” the White House hopeful said from New Hampshire, just minutes before joining TODAY’s Pancakes & Politics town hall.
A visibly agitated Clinton discussed an upcoming congressional hearing on Benghazi, which House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy has suggested was created with political motivations. When asked if she would have gone after Republicans such as former Vice President Dick Cheney if tables were turned, Clinton insisted: “I would never have done that.”
“This committee was set up, as they have admitted, for the purpose of making a partisan political issue out of the deaths of four Americans,” she said. “I would never have done that, and if I were president and there were Republicans or Democrats thinking about that, I would have done everything to shut it down.”
She pointed out that seven investigations, led mostly by Congressional Republicans, have looked into the issue and cleared her of any wrongdoing.
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) October 5, 2015
During the live town hall, she discussed details of her sweeping gun control proposal that she promised would close a critical “gun show loophole.”
“I really do want to push hard to get more sensible restraints on gun ownership in the wrong hands and then to try to keep track of people who shouldn’t have guns,” she said, adding that she wants to “work with Congress” to do so.
But her proposal would allow her to take administrative action to tighten gun control laws if lawmakers do not.
“We need universal background checks. We know that they will work. We need to close what’s called the Charleston loophole,” she said, referring to a provision in law that allows potential gun buyers to purchase weapons if background checks aren’t completed within three days. Clinton pointed out that’s how South Carolina church shooter Dylann Roof purchased the gun he used in his rampage despite his criminal record.
Earlier, Savannah brought up Clinton’s appearance on “Saturday Night Live” in a political skit, playing a bartender who served up drinks and comfort to a pretend version of herself. The skit poked fun of Clinton’s problem of being seen as likable, trustworthy and driven by public opinion.
Read more: Today
- Missing 14yr-Old Girl Found Dead in Landfill, Police Need Your Help
- Hillary Clinton: Republicans are the ‘Death Party’
- Video: Muslim Man Attacks Woman In Broad Daylight Because She Was Wearing…
- Delusional Pelosi Won’t Step Down — ‘I’m A Master Legislator!’
- Bill Nye Writer Willing To Accept Deaths of “Old Ass Conservative White Men” If It Leads To Gun Control
- Socialist Bernie Sanders & Wife Under Bank Fraud Investigation by the FBI
- Stevie Wonder Exposes Hypocrisy of Black Lives Matter in Awesome Speech!
- Democrat on Scalise Shooting: ‘I’m F**king Glad He Got Shot’ [AUDIO]
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Watch: Fed Up Drivers vs. Liberal Ding-Bats Blocking Traffic
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- CNN Retracts Their Fake Russia/Trump News — Instantly Trolled [LOL]
- Clinton Foundation Busted for Taking $1MIL from Qatar and ‘Forgetting’ to Tell Gov. About It
- Insane! Sex Offender Rapes Neighbor’s 7yr-Old Daughter Weeks After Being Released from Prison
- Van Halen Icon Sammy Hagar Bashes Trump Haters, ‘Give Him a Chance’
- 16-Month-Old Killed After Thug Father Viciously…
- Question: Should Lawmakers Investigate James Comey and Robert Mueller?
- White House Hosts Ramadan Dinner, Trump was a No Show