‘I do not know any progressive who has a super PAC and takes 15 million from Wall Street. That’s just not progressive,’ Sanders said of Clinton as he hit the stage first on Wednesday.
Clinton then provided the most awkward moment of the night when it was her turn to speak and she was asked by Cooper about taking Wall Street money for paid speeches after leaving the State Department.
‘Well, I don’t know, that’s what they offered,’ she said, shrugging off the $675,000 she received from Goldman Sachs as the audience laughed.
She then added; ‘Every Secretary of State I know has done that.’
Clinton and Sanders both smacked each other around a bit on who’s actually a ‘progressive,’ with Sanders reminding those watching that Clinton had once claimed to be a moderate – while Clinton slapped back suggesting that Sanders doesn’t have ownership over the liberal mantle.
‘I was somewhat amused today that Sen. Sanders has set himself up to be the gatekeeper of who’s a progressive,’ Clinton told the audience.
The Democratic candidates took turns at the New Hampshire town hall answering questions from the audience and CNN’s Cooper.
Early on, Sanders’ political ideology took front and center, with Cooper asking Sanders if he truly identified as a capital-D Democrat.
‘Sure,’ he said, as he ticked a number of leadership positions he held in Congress within the Democratic Party, even though he was not a member of the party.
Sanders is one of two Independent lawmakers in the upper chamber. He and Maine Senator Angus King caucus with the Democrats, however.
‘So, of course, I am a Democrat running for the Democratic nomination,’ Sanders said tonight.
The lawmaker was responding to criticism from a Hillary Clinton supporter, after he had noted that Clinton can’t call herself a moderate and a progressive at various times it the election.
‘All that I said, which is simply true, I think it was in November in Ohio, you may recall this … Secretary Clinton said, some people call me – and I’m paraphrasing. Some people call me a moderate and I proudly say I am a moderate –that’s what she said,’ Sanders said.
The senator said the former New York senator cannot have her cake and eat it too.
‘Some of my best friends are moderates, I love moderates,’ Sanders said. ‘But you can’t be a moderate and progressive. They’re different.’
When Clinton was asked about it, she used the ‘amused’ line.
‘I’m not going to let that bother me,’ she said of Sanders questioning her liberal bonafides. ‘
‘I know where I stand, I know who stands with me, I know what I’ve done, but I don’t think it helps for the senator to be making those kinds of comparisons because clearly we all share a lot of the same hopes and aspirations for our country that we want to see achieved and I don’t think it’s appropriate that Planned Parenthood endorses me or the Human Rights campaign endorses me, you know, they are thrown out of the progressive wing and put into the establishment,’ Clinton said.
Read more: Daily Mail
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- ISIS Has Been Defeated
- BADASS: Bear Gets Into Bloody Fight With Wolves Over Deer Carcass–And The Winner Was…
- Not So Scary Now: Video Captures ISIS Militants Screaming Like Babies During Battle
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- Dangerous Standoff With Armed Robber and Father Ends With the Bad Guy Dying
- Dear America: Would You Be Terribly Sad If Liberal California Seceded From The Union?
- POLL: Is It Time for Mueller to Resign?
- Roy Moore’s Accuser Admits Yearbook was Altered [WATCH]
- WATCH: Obama Thanks Himself for Trump’s Growing Economy
- REPORT: ‘Nasty Woman’ Throws Her Used TAMPON at a Police Officer
- Shady Lady Elizabeth Warren ‘Forgets’ to Disclose $1.3MIL Line of Credit Given to Her by…
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- WATCH: Sarah Palin Says She’s Never Been Sexually Harassed Because Everyone Knows She Has a…
- READ AND WEEP LIBTARDS: Iowa Takes Constitutional Precautions to Protect Their 2A Rights
- Vagina Hat Wearers had Guest Speaker, Donna Hylton, Who Kidnapped, Raped and Tortured a Man [VIDEO]
- Kate Steinle’s Killer is Now Being Targeted by ICE