‘I do not know any progressive who has a super PAC and takes 15 million from Wall Street. That’s just not progressive,’ Sanders said of Clinton as he hit the stage first on Wednesday.
Clinton then provided the most awkward moment of the night when it was her turn to speak and she was asked by Cooper about taking Wall Street money for paid speeches after leaving the State Department.
‘Well, I don’t know, that’s what they offered,’ she said, shrugging off the $675,000 she received from Goldman Sachs as the audience laughed.
She then added; ‘Every Secretary of State I know has done that.’
Clinton and Sanders both smacked each other around a bit on who’s actually a ‘progressive,’ with Sanders reminding those watching that Clinton had once claimed to be a moderate – while Clinton slapped back suggesting that Sanders doesn’t have ownership over the liberal mantle.
‘I was somewhat amused today that Sen. Sanders has set himself up to be the gatekeeper of who’s a progressive,’ Clinton told the audience.
The Democratic candidates took turns at the New Hampshire town hall answering questions from the audience and CNN’s Cooper.
Early on, Sanders’ political ideology took front and center, with Cooper asking Sanders if he truly identified as a capital-D Democrat.
‘Sure,’ he said, as he ticked a number of leadership positions he held in Congress within the Democratic Party, even though he was not a member of the party.
Sanders is one of two Independent lawmakers in the upper chamber. He and Maine Senator Angus King caucus with the Democrats, however.
‘So, of course, I am a Democrat running for the Democratic nomination,’ Sanders said tonight.
The lawmaker was responding to criticism from a Hillary Clinton supporter, after he had noted that Clinton can’t call herself a moderate and a progressive at various times it the election.
‘All that I said, which is simply true, I think it was in November in Ohio, you may recall this … Secretary Clinton said, some people call me – and I’m paraphrasing. Some people call me a moderate and I proudly say I am a moderate –that’s what she said,’ Sanders said.
The senator said the former New York senator cannot have her cake and eat it too.
‘Some of my best friends are moderates, I love moderates,’ Sanders said. ‘But you can’t be a moderate and progressive. They’re different.’
When Clinton was asked about it, she used the ‘amused’ line.
‘I’m not going to let that bother me,’ she said of Sanders questioning her liberal bonafides. ‘
‘I know where I stand, I know who stands with me, I know what I’ve done, but I don’t think it helps for the senator to be making those kinds of comparisons because clearly we all share a lot of the same hopes and aspirations for our country that we want to see achieved and I don’t think it’s appropriate that Planned Parenthood endorses me or the Human Rights campaign endorses me, you know, they are thrown out of the progressive wing and put into the establishment,’ Clinton said.
Read more: Daily Mail
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Bro Swims Out to GREAT WHITE SHARK…Watch What Happens
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Authorities Confirm: 4 Times More People Killed with a Blade Than a Rifle
- Trump Takes Aim at Obama’s Iran Nuclear Deal, Preparing to…
- WATCH: Burglar is BUSTED by Dallas Police, Homeowner Compiles the CCTV Footage in HILARIOUS Remix
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral