‘I do not know any progressive who has a super PAC and takes 15 million from Wall Street. That’s just not progressive,’ Sanders said of Clinton as he hit the stage first on Wednesday.
Clinton then provided the most awkward moment of the night when it was her turn to speak and she was asked by Cooper about taking Wall Street money for paid speeches after leaving the State Department.
‘Well, I don’t know, that’s what they offered,’ she said, shrugging off the $675,000 she received from Goldman Sachs as the audience laughed.
She then added; ‘Every Secretary of State I know has done that.’
Clinton and Sanders both smacked each other around a bit on who’s actually a ‘progressive,’ with Sanders reminding those watching that Clinton had once claimed to be a moderate – while Clinton slapped back suggesting that Sanders doesn’t have ownership over the liberal mantle.
‘I was somewhat amused today that Sen. Sanders has set himself up to be the gatekeeper of who’s a progressive,’ Clinton told the audience.
The Democratic candidates took turns at the New Hampshire town hall answering questions from the audience and CNN’s Cooper.
Early on, Sanders’ political ideology took front and center, with Cooper asking Sanders if he truly identified as a capital-D Democrat.
‘Sure,’ he said, as he ticked a number of leadership positions he held in Congress within the Democratic Party, even though he was not a member of the party.
Sanders is one of two Independent lawmakers in the upper chamber. He and Maine Senator Angus King caucus with the Democrats, however.
‘So, of course, I am a Democrat running for the Democratic nomination,’ Sanders said tonight.
The lawmaker was responding to criticism from a Hillary Clinton supporter, after he had noted that Clinton can’t call herself a moderate and a progressive at various times it the election.
‘All that I said, which is simply true, I think it was in November in Ohio, you may recall this … Secretary Clinton said, some people call me – and I’m paraphrasing. Some people call me a moderate and I proudly say I am a moderate –that’s what she said,’ Sanders said.
The senator said the former New York senator cannot have her cake and eat it too.
‘Some of my best friends are moderates, I love moderates,’ Sanders said. ‘But you can’t be a moderate and progressive. They’re different.’
When Clinton was asked about it, she used the ‘amused’ line.
‘I’m not going to let that bother me,’ she said of Sanders questioning her liberal bonafides. ‘
‘I know where I stand, I know who stands with me, I know what I’ve done, but I don’t think it helps for the senator to be making those kinds of comparisons because clearly we all share a lot of the same hopes and aspirations for our country that we want to see achieved and I don’t think it’s appropriate that Planned Parenthood endorses me or the Human Rights campaign endorses me, you know, they are thrown out of the progressive wing and put into the establishment,’ Clinton said.
Read more: Daily Mail
- CNN Reporter Claims School Shooting Survivor Colton Haab is a Liar
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Thinking Past Step 1: Other Policy Changes to Improve School Security
- Nurse Caught on Camera Laughing as WWII Vet Dies Gasping for Breath
- Report: Father ‘Chained His Twin Daughters in Home, Raped Them and Fathered Their Children’
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- VIDEO: Texas High School Plans on Suspending Students Protesting Gun Rights
- BLUBBER BUTT MOORE: #MichaelMoore Demands America to ‘Disarm the Police’
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Still Believes ‘Macho Atmosphere’ & ‘Sexism’ is Why Hillary Clinton Lost
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- Man Claims He is a ‘9yr-Old Trapped’ in a Man’s Body After Being Arrested for Sexually Assaulting Children
- Authorities Confirm: 4 Times More People Killed with a Blade Than a Rifle
- Women’s Concealed Carry: Where Do We Hide the Gun?