Hillary Clinton agreed on Friday to appear at a public hearing before the House Benghazi Committee, her campaign said in a statement.
The hearing will be held in October, Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill said.
Clinton’s acceptance of an invitation from Rep. Trey Gowdy, who is leading the investigation into the events of Sept. 11, 2012 — when four Americans, including U.S. Amb. Chris Stevens, were killed in Benghazi, Libya — came the same day that new questions emerged about her use of a personal email server for official State Department business.
Gowdy had initially requested private meetings with the former secretary of state, but Clinton’s camp had long insisted on a public hearing.
An inspector general review found that at least four emails Clinton had kept on her server were classified “secret” at the time — a finding that calls into question her assertion in March that she took care to avoid sending classified materials. The Clinton camp’s statement on Saturday morning did not directly address this finding.
News of the inspector general’s review was first reported late Thursday night by the New York Times — prompting a furious pushback from the Clinton campaign, which continued to attack the story on Saturday morning.
The Times altered its initial story after complaints from the Clinton camp, along with the Justice Department’s clarification that the inspector general had not requested a criminal investigation.
“Friday began with the printing of a story that was false. Entities from the highest levels of two branches of government have now made that clear,” Merrill said.
Read more: politico.com
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- ALERT: House Voted on Impeachment of Trump, Results Were Staggering
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Female Gun Range Owner, Who Banned Muslims from Her Business, is Running for Governor