The U.S. Secret Service ordered hundreds of parents and their cancer-stricken children out of Lafayette Square on Saturday night, barricading the park for at least two hours and disrupting the group’s plans for a candlelight vigil to raise awareness of and research funding for childhood cancer, participants said.
Some of the parents and children expressed hurt and disappointment that the Secret Service and Park Police, citing security precautions, virtually shut down part of a two-day event called CureFest for Childhood Cancer.
“We ended up waiting at the gates for two hours, and they never let us in,” said Natasha Gould, an 11-year-old from Canada who started a blog after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor this year. “And to be clear, the entire crowd was half kids. I cried last night in my hotel room because it was my first CureFest, and I couldn’t believe people were acting like they don’t care about children.”
In a statement e-mailed late Sunday, Brian Leary, a spokesman for the Secret Service, said the closures on Pennsylvania Avenue and Lafayette Park were “put into place based on standard [Secret Service] protocols prior to protectee movements in the vicinity of the White House Complex.”
He added, “The Secret Service would like to express its regret for not communicating more effectively with this group concerning the timeline for protectee movements in the vicinity of Lafayette Park.”
Organizers, aligned with the Truth 365 grass-roots child-cancer advocacy program, had obtained a permit to hold “A Night of Golden Lights,” in which participants would light electric candles.
But as the closure continued on, some of the sick children, fatigued by the wait or the need to receive medication, had to return to their hotel rooms, organizers said. Others began crying, and some parents became enraged. Attendees said the group of at least 700 people was not allowed access to personal items they left behind, such as chairs and blankets.
Read more: The Washington Post
- Child Sex Slave Escapes Captor, But Now She is the One in Jail
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Chick Who Stole MAGA Hat from College Student is in Serious Trouble [VIDEO]
- Police Investigate Woman Who Defended Herself With Gun, Because Perpetrator is Now…
- WATCH: Sarah Palin Says She’s Never Been Sexually Harassed Because Everyone Knows She Has a…
- POLL: President Trump Wants to Expose Sexual Harassers in Congress — Do You Love This?
- Illegal Alien and MS-13 Gang Member Cuts Man’s Head and Heart Off Inside ‘Sanctuary’ County
- Self-Defense When Bugging Out: 7 Tips to Keep In Mind
- PANTS ON THE GROUND: Ashley Madison Hackers Have THOUSANDS of Users’ Naked Photos
- REPORT: Serial Killer on the Loose, Residents Ordered to Stay Inside
- Revealed: George Soros has Been Winning Small Political Victories That Can Jeopardize America
- The 5 Worst/Recent Mass Murders in the USA (with a Firearm) Came from Democrats
- ‘YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN AFRICA’: Group of Black People Taunt BIKINI-CLAD Woman, She Instantly Loses Her Sh*t [VIDEO]
- Prostitute Shoots Man in the Head Because He Didn’t Know How to…
- WATCH: Colin Kaepernick is Now Ready to ‘Stand for the Anthem’ if He Can…
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- Texas Shooting: Two Heroes Who Chased Down Shooter Reveal What Happened
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600