A supposed new species of human with an exceptionally small brain and an unusual combination of both primitive and more modern human-like features has been discovered in a remote South African cave chamber, according to research published in the journal eLIFE.
Named Homo naledi, the undated new species is represented by more than 1,500 fossils that belonged to at least 15 individuals.
Estimates reveal that their brains were comparable in size to those of some of the world’s first known humans, australopithecines, as well as those of today’s gorillas, Chris Stringer of the Natural History Museum in London, who did not directly work on the project, told Discovery News.
“That brain volume (about 500cc), implies significantly less brain power than recent humans,” added Stringer, who authored a paper commenting on the finds.
Lee Berger of the University of the Witwatersrand, Paul Dirks of James Cook University and an international team of colleagues discovered the remains deep within the Rising Star cave system in South Africa’s Gauteng province. The Dinaledi Chamber containing the fossils can only be accessed via several steep climbs and fissures.
Discovering the enormous collection of bones “was akin to (archaeologist) Howard Carter moving into Tutankhamen’s tomb for the first time…seeing all of this bone material all over the floor,” lead excavator Marina Elliott of Simon Fraser University recently told science teacher John Mead of St. Mark’s School of Texas during a videocast recorded in the cave.
Berger and his team conclude that Homo naledi‘s curved fingers, shoulder, trunk and hips are, like its brain, more primitive. The wrist, hands, legs and feet, however, are similar to those of Neanderthals and our own species.
“The foot seems structurally and functionally very human, thus implying a human-like gait,” Stringer said.
He said the teeth and other features also that this human was a dexterous omnivore that must have hunted and eaten at least some meat.
Read more: discovery.com
- OBAMA: ‘People Will Look Back… And See I Was Right And Trump Was Wrong’
- CNN Reporter SHAMES 12yr-Old Girls for Not Wanting to See ‘Penises’ in Their Locker Rooms — Preaches Tolerance for…
- Feminist Lawyer Attempted to Bribe Women Who Accused Trump of Sexual Misconduct
- WATCH: CNN Anchor Says Americans Should Wear HIJABS to Show Solidarity to Fearful Muslims
- REVEALED: Obama’s State Department Made Deal with Hillary Clinton to Keep Certain Documents Secret
- WATCH: Chicago Declared ‘Trump-Free Zone’
- Arkansas Might Remove the Clinton’s Name from Their Airport — Should They Do It?
- CA Democrats Want to Spend $1 Billion So Illegal Immigrants Can Have…
- Off-Duty Officer Pulls Gun & Fires During Altercation with Group of Teens — Should He Be Punished?
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied Claims ‘Islam is The MOST Feminist Religion’
- LMAO: Watch Nancy Pelosi’s Face at the Moment Trump Said, an ‘Imploding Obamacare Disaster’
- TRUMP: Democrats Using Fabricated Stories from Women After Failed Russia Collusion Case
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- LEAKED: James Comey’s Shocking Edits to His Public Statement On Hillary Clinton Probe
- WATCH: Female ISIS Captives Remove Their Veils and BURN Them
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- POLL: Is It Time for Mueller to Resign?
- Trump Wins: Bill Moves Forward to Expose Congressional Sexual Harassers