Nicholas Winton, a hero of World War II often called the “British Schindler” for his role in rescuing hundreds of Jewish children from the Holocaust, died on Wednesday at the age of 106.
Winton organized the transport of 669 Jewish children out of Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia to Britain in 1939, saving them from being sent to concentration camps.
At 29 years old, Winton travelled to Prague and organized eight trains to London for hundreds of Jewish children fleeing the occupied city as part of Britain’s Kindertransport initiative.
Winton worked to convince British officials to accept the children, as long as foster homes were found and a £50 guarantee was paid for each one to ensure they had enough money to return home later. At the time, their stays were only expected to be temporary.
He became the only person working specifically in the children’s section of the British Committee for Refugees from Czechoslovakia. Winton personally found homes and guarantors for the those fleeing, drawing up lists of about 6,000 children and publishing pictures to encourage British families to agree to take them.
Read more: mashable.com
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- ALERT: House Voted on Impeachment of Trump, Results Were Staggering
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Female Gun Range Owner, Who Banned Muslims from Her Business, is Running for Governor