House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan said on Sunday it would be ridiculous to work with President Barack Obama on immigration reform, saying he cannot trust the president on the issue.
“I think it would be a ridiculous notion to try and work on an issue like this with a president we simply cannot trust on this issue,” Ryan said in an interview aired on the CBS program “Face the Nation.”
“He tried to go it alone, circumventing the legislative process with his executive orders so that is not in the cards. I think if we reach consensus on how best to achieve border and interior enforcement security, I think that’s fine,” Ryan added.
On the first weekend since taking the reins from retiring Representative John Boehner of Ohio, the Wisconsin Republican vowed on NBC News’ “Meet the Press” to offer Americans a bold, specific and clear agenda, producing Republican solutions on the economy, health care and foreign policy.
Ryan inherits a Republican conference that’s divided over whether to cooperate with Obama and Democrats in Congress to forge agreements — such as the two-year budget deal passed Oct. 28 by the House — or instead use their power over the nation’s purse to try to force policy concessions from the president.
“We do not like the direction that the president is taking the country,” Ryan said in a transcript provided by the network. “That means we have to be a proposition party. We have to be the alternative party.”
Ryan, 45, who is scheduled to appear on five different talk shows on Sunday, promised to do more to hold open discussions about emerging legislation, a key demand of the conservative Freedom Caucus. Ryan said he wanted to have the House “working like it was intended to work.”
Read more: newsmax.com
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- When You’re Trying to Riot and Your Mom Shows Up [WATCH]
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- Meet the Liberal Behind $10 MILLION Impeachment Plan Against Trump
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]