Guns.com reports an Amish man is suing the government over his right to buy a gun without a photo ID:
In a somewhat unique case addressing both Second Amendment and religious freedoms, an Amish man from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, filed a federal lawsuit Friday after he was denied the purchase of a firearm because he does not have a photo ID, an item which he claims goes against his religious beliefs.
Andrew Hertzler is an “active and practicing” member of the Amish community and, according to the suit, “has a sincerely held religious belief that prevents him from knowingly and willingly having his photograph taken and stored,” citing a Bible passage from Exodus 20:4. While such a belief wouldn’t typically be an issue within the Amish community, it proved to be a problem when Hertzler attempted to purchase a gun from a local dealer back in June.
Although Hertzler presented a “non-photo, state-issued identification,” he was denied the purchase and told a photo ID was required. Hertzler, in turn, took the issue to Sen. Pat Toomey, who forwarded the information to the ATF. But the response from the ATF was simple: Federal law requires a photo ID to purchase firearms and there are no exceptions.
Read more: thefederalistpapers.org
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- WINNING! California FORCED to Return 500+ Guns to Dealer After Seizing Them For…
- WATCH: Tennessee Students Start Fighting, Tear Down American Flag During Anti-Gun ‘Walkout’ Protest
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- Couple Caught Sexually Abusing Their Kids and Family Dog
- Parkland High School: Broward County Sheriff Captain Who Ordered Officers to Secure “Perimeter” Identified
- Poll: Should NFL Fans Get a Refund if Players Kneel During Anthem?
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Dropped: Charges Against the Bundy Family are Dismissed
- Tinder Date Turns to Homicide: ‘Mama’s Boy’ Dismembers Woman’s Body
- DOJ Unleashes More Documents on Operation Fast & Furious