Hungary said Friday it will shut its border with Croatia at midnight, closing a major entry point for migrants bound for northern Europe, weeks after a similar move on its Serbian frontier triggered clashes with refugees.
“The National Security Cabinet has decided that… we will close the green border from midnight (2200 GMT),” foreign minister Peter Szijjarto said.
“The official border posts will continue to operate, but under strict controls,” he told a news conference in Budapest.
He said that the move comes after “no decision was reached at the EU summit on Thursday on using common EU forces to defend Greece’s external border.”
“In normal circumstances, it would be up to Greece to defend the EU’s external border, but the Greeks are not able to do this job,” he added.
On Wednesday the Hungarian government said it had completed a fence along its border with Croatia and that it was ready to seal the frontier.
Last month, Hungary closed its border with Serbia, until then the main crossing point, with razor wire and fences.
The move prompted violent clashes between migrants and riot police — and an international outcry — but did not stop the flow of people, merely diverting it into Croatia, from where they crossed into Hungary.
EU member Hungary is on the southern frontier of Europe’s passport-free Schengen zone, which has come under intense pressure as the European Union faces its biggest migrant crisis since 1945.
More than 386,000 migrants have crossed into the country so far in 2015, with the number likely to exceed 700,000 by the end of the year, according to Hungarian authorities.
Having traveled up from Greece through the western Balkans, all but a few have continued their journey, crossing into Austria and then further north, often to Germany and Scandinavia.
Read more: Yahoo News
- OBAMA: ‘People Will Look Back… And See I Was Right And Trump Was Wrong’
- CNN Reporter SHAMES 12yr-Old Girls for Not Wanting to See ‘Penises’ in Their Locker Rooms — Preaches Tolerance for…
- Feminist Lawyer Attempted to Bribe Women Who Accused Trump of Sexual Misconduct
- WATCH: CNN Anchor Says Americans Should Wear HIJABS to Show Solidarity to Fearful Muslims
- REVEALED: Obama’s State Department Made Deal with Hillary Clinton to Keep Certain Documents Secret
- Off-Duty Officer Pulls Gun & Fires During Altercation with Group of Teens — Should He Be Punished?
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied Claims ‘Islam is The MOST Feminist Religion’
- WATCH: Chicago Declared ‘Trump-Free Zone’
- Arkansas Might Remove the Clinton’s Name from Their Airport — Should They Do It?
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- TRUMP: Democrats Using Fabricated Stories from Women After Failed Russia Collusion Case
- LMAO: Watch Nancy Pelosi’s Face at the Moment Trump Said, an ‘Imploding Obamacare Disaster’
- LEAKED: James Comey’s Shocking Edits to His Public Statement On Hillary Clinton Probe
- WATCH: Female ISIS Captives Remove Their Veils and BURN Them
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- POLL: Is It Time for Mueller to Resign?
- Trump Wins: Bill Moves Forward to Expose Congressional Sexual Harassers
- WATCH: Gang of Thugs Prove Why Every Single Woman Needs a Gun at Home