Rachel Dolezal, the former NAACP chapter president accused of pretending to be black, tells TODAY’s Matt Lauer in an exclusive live interview that she identifies as black — something she started doing at the age of five.
“I was drawing self-portraits with the brown crayon instead of the peach crayon, and black curly hair,” she told Lauer. But she insisted she never deceived anyone as numerous critics have suggested.
“I do take exception to that because it’s a little more complex than me identifying as black or answering a question of, are you black or white?” she said.
But given the fallout she has experienced since the controversy erupted last week, Dolezal said she would make the same choices if she had the chance.
“As much as this discussion has somewhat been at my expense recently, and in a very sort of viciously inhumane way come out of the woodwork, the discussion is really about what it is to be human,” she said. “I hope that that can drive at the core of definitions of race, ethnicity, culture, self determination, personal agency and, ultimately, empowerment.”
Dolezal defended her identification as an African American against comparisons to putting on blackface, as some in her family have suggested, as well as many on social media.
“I have a huge issue with blackface. This is not some freak ‘Birth of a Nation’ mockery blackface performance,” she said. “This is on a very real, connected level. How I’ve had to go there with the experience, not just a visible representation, but with the experience.”
When asked about the changes in her physical appearance and whether she darkened her appearance, Dolezal responded: “I certainly don’t stay out of the sun.”
Dolezal’s interview came less than a day after she resigned Monday from her position as president of the NAACP’s Spokane, Washington, chapter amid the controversy surrounding her and claims she made about her race and upbringing.
The firestorm began last week after her white parents confirmed that Dolezal, 37, was their estranged daughter, whom they had not seen in years.
Her parents told TODAY that their daughter pretended to be black, claimed to be born in a teepee and made other false claims possibly as a way to “damage her biological family.”
Read more: Today
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- ‘Definitely Terrorism’: NYC Suicide Bomber Captured Alive [VIDEO]
- REPORT: ‘Nasty Woman’ Throws Her Used TAMPON at a Police Officer
- WATCH: Obama Thanks Himself for Trump’s Growing Economy
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- BADASS: Bear Gets Into Bloody Fight With Wolves Over Deer Carcass–And The Winner Was…
- Not So Scary Now: Video Captures ISIS Militants Screaming Like Babies During Battle
- WATCH: Flag Burning Libtards Get The Full Wrath of an American Patriot–Fight Breaks Out
- Shady Lady Elizabeth Warren ‘Forgets’ to Disclose $1.3MIL Line of Credit Given to Her by…
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- ISIS Has Been Defeated
- POLL: Is It Time for Mueller to Resign?
- Watch: Charlize Theron is Making ‘Grown Men Cry’ Fighting Like a Girl for New ‘Atomic Blonde’ Movie
- Pentagon Announces Admission of Transgender Applicants for the Military Starting in 2018
- WATCH: Female Sailor Gets INSTANT Karma After Sitting for National Anthem