Joey Meek, a friend of admitted Charleston shooter Dylann Roof, has been charged by a federal grand jury in connection to the June massacre that left nine people dead at Emanuel AME Church, according to court documents.
Meek, 21, was arrested Thursday by FBI agents, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation. He has been charged with one count of making false statements to federal officials and one count of “misprision of a felony,” meaning he concealed knowledge about a crime.
He is scheduled to be arraigned in federal court Friday morning.
“Meek is alleged to have taken steps to conceal his knowledge of the crimes committed by Dylann Storm Roof,” according to a Justice Department news release, “and to have made materially false statements when Meek told a special agent of the FBI that he did not know specifics of Roof’s plan to shoot individuals on a Wednesday, during Bible study, at an AME Church in Charleston.”
In the weeks before Roof allegedly gunned down nine worshipers inside the historic black church, he slept on the floor of a Lexington County, S.C., trailer that also housed Meek. Meek’s two brothers, mother, and girlfriend also live in the trailer; The Washington Post profiled the family on Sunday.
Meek told The Post that when news broke about the shooting, he feared Roof was the suspect; he said he called police once he saw surveillance footage of the suspected shooter on television the next morning. Meek said FBI agents subsequently questioned him about what Roof had told him before the church massacre, as well as his own possible involvement in the shooting.
His girlfriend, Lindsey Fry — who said she was also questioned — told The Post that Meek was taken into custody at work Thursday afternoon.
Read more: Washington Post
- Marine Dakota Meyer Demolishes Transgender Navy SEALS Story…
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Imran Awan Allegedly Steals House Democrats’ Laptops, is Arrested; DWS Fights With Capitol Police — This is Big
- Hollywood Freaks After Trump Declares No Transgendered People to Serve in Military: ‘You just pissed off the wrong community.’
- Criminal Complaint to be Filed Against Animal Rights Activists Who Threatened Huntress, Leading to Her Suicide
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- Chris Hemsworth Thinks a Woman Should be the New Bond…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- BREAKING: DC Transit Officer Involved with ISIS, Helped Them Get… UPDATE
- Busted: Chick Tries Framing Cop for Sexual Harassment, Then His Body-Cam Footage was Released
- Dear Parents: Would You Enroll Your Kids in a School That Teaches Them to Shoot, Gut and Cook Wild Animals?