Joey Meek, a friend of admitted Charleston shooter Dylann Roof, has been charged by a federal grand jury in connection to the June massacre that left nine people dead at Emanuel AME Church, according to court documents.
Meek, 21, was arrested Thursday by FBI agents, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation. He has been charged with one count of making false statements to federal officials and one count of “misprision of a felony,” meaning he concealed knowledge about a crime.
He is scheduled to be arraigned in federal court Friday morning.
“Meek is alleged to have taken steps to conceal his knowledge of the crimes committed by Dylann Storm Roof,” according to a Justice Department news release, “and to have made materially false statements when Meek told a special agent of the FBI that he did not know specifics of Roof’s plan to shoot individuals on a Wednesday, during Bible study, at an AME Church in Charleston.”
In the weeks before Roof allegedly gunned down nine worshipers inside the historic black church, he slept on the floor of a Lexington County, S.C., trailer that also housed Meek. Meek’s two brothers, mother, and girlfriend also live in the trailer; The Washington Post profiled the family on Sunday.
Meek told The Post that when news broke about the shooting, he feared Roof was the suspect; he said he called police once he saw surveillance footage of the suspected shooter on television the next morning. Meek said FBI agents subsequently questioned him about what Roof had told him before the church massacre, as well as his own possible involvement in the shooting.
His girlfriend, Lindsey Fry — who said she was also questioned — told The Post that Meek was taken into custody at work Thursday afternoon.
Read more: Washington Post
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- GARY SINISE SHUTS DOWN LARRY KING: On Gun Control in the CLASSIEST Way Possible and We Love It [WATCH]
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall
- Watch: ‘Blue’ is the Best Documentary Against the Green Movement — Proves How They are Destroying the Earth
- Women’s Concealed Carry: Where Do We Hide the Gun?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer