Babylonia has no regrets about leaving behind her two children and her job as a hairdresser to join a Christian female militia battling against the Islamic State (IS) group in Syria.
The fierce-looking 36-year-old in fatigues from the Syriac Christian minority in the northeast believes she is making the future safe for her children.
“I miss Limar and Gabriella and worry that they must be hungry, thirsty and cold. But I try to tell them I’m fighting to protect their future,” she said.
Babylonia belongs to a small, recently created battalion of Syriac Christian women in Hasakeh province who are fighting the IS.
They are following in the footsteps of Syria’s other main female force battling the militants — the women of the YPJ, the female counterpart to the Kurdish People’s Protection Units, or YPG.
So far the new force is small, with about 50 graduates so far from its training camp in the town of al-Qahtaniyeh, also known as Kabre Hyore in Syriac and Tirbespi in Kurdish.
However, the “Female Protection Forces of the Land Between the Two Rivers” — the area between the Tigris and Euphrates waterways historically inhabited by Syriacs — is teeming with women eager to prove their worth against the IS.
It was actually Babylonia’s husband who encouraged her to leave Limar, nine, and six-year-old Gabriella and join the unit whose first recruits graduated in August.
Himself a fighter, he urged her to take up arms to “fight against the idea that the Syriac woman is good for nothing except housekeeping and make-up,” she said.
“I’m a practicing Christian and thinking about my children makes me stronger and more determined in my fight against Daesh,” added Babylonia, using the Arabic acronym for the IS.
Syriac Christians belong to the eastern Christian tradition and pray in Aramaic. They include both Orthodox and Catholic branches, and constitute about 15 percent of Syria’s 1.2 million Christians.
Before the conflict began in March 2011, Christians from about 11 different sects made up around 5 percent of the population.
Read more: taipeitimes.com
- Child Sex Slave Escapes Captor, But Now She is the One in Jail
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- POLL: President Trump Wants to Expose Sexual Harassers in Congress — Do You Love This?
- Chick Who Stole MAGA Hat from College Student is in Serious Trouble [VIDEO]
- Kathy Griffin Attacks Trump Again in Bizarre Video [WATCH]
- ‘YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN AFRICA’: Group of Black People Taunt BIKINI-CLAD Woman, She Instantly Loses Her Sh*t [VIDEO]
- 2yr-Old Beats Stage 4 Cancer with Breakthrough Treatment
- 5 Crucial Things to Remember When Choosing a Hunting Rifle
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- Japan Prepares for Mass Evacuation as Kim Jong-un Becomes More Unhinged
- Prostitute Shoots Man in the Head Because He Didn’t Know How to…
- WATCH: Off-Duty Police Officer Caught in Gun Fight While Holding His Young Child
- Charlie Rose Canned for Sexual Harassment by CBS
- Father Abandons Wife & 7 Kids to Live as a 6yr-Old Girl [Video]
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- 85yr. old Austrian, Lived Under Hitler, Says We’re Screwed!
- ‘WE NEED TO WIN THIS MOTHER F–KER’: Hillary Camp EXPOSED–New Undercover Video Reveals More Shocking Details [WATCH]