MY mind was absorbed by the biochemistry of gene editing when the text messages and Facebook posts distracted me.
So sorry about Cecil.
Did Cecil live near your place in Zimbabwe?
Cecil who? I wondered. When I turned on the news and discovered that the messages were about a lion killed by an American dentist, the village boy inside me instinctively cheered: One lion fewer to menace families like mine.
My excitement was doused when I realized that the lion killer was being painted as the villain. I faced the starkest cultural contradiction I’d experienced during my five years studying in the United States.
Did all those Americans signing petitions understand that lions actually kill people? That all the talk about Cecil being “beloved” or a “local favorite” was media hype? Did Jimmy Kimmel choke up because Cecil was murdered or because he confused him with Simba from “The Lion King”?
In my village in Zimbabwe, surrounded by wildlife conservation areas, no lion has ever been beloved, or granted an affectionate nickname. They are objects of terror.
When I was 9 years old, a solitary lion prowled villages near my home. After it killed a few chickens, some goats and finally a cow, we were warned to walk to school in groups and stop playing outside. My sisters no longer went alone to the river to collect water or wash dishes; my mother waited for my father and older brothers, armed with machetes, axes and spears, to escort her into the bush to collect firewood.
A week later, my mother gathered me with nine of my siblings to explain that her uncle had been attacked but escaped with nothing more than an injured leg. The lion sucked the life out of the village: No one socialized by fires at night; no one dared stroll over to a neighbor’s homestead.
When the lion was finally killed, no one cared whether its murderer was a local person or a white trophy hunter, whether it was poached or killed legally. We danced and sang about the vanquishing of the fearsome beast and our escape from serious harm.
Read more: NY Times
- Austin Bomber Dead — Blows Himself Up
- ‘Nails and Shrapnel’: Bomb Headed to Austin Explodes at FedEx
- PETA Bounty: Alleged Frenchman Kicks Squirrel into Grand Canyon, PETA Places $16K Bounty on His Head
- WATCH: CNN Busted on Gun-Control Agenda, On Their Own Network
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Barbra Streisand: I’m No #MeToo Victim, I Was Never Sexually Harassed
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- School Parades Kindergarteners in Gun-Control ‘Walkout’ — Did They Exploit the Children?
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- HOUSE REPORT: War on ISIS is NOT Going Well, Government LIED so Obama Would Look Good
- Muslim Chick Urges to ‘Stand Together’ While Wearing Burka with Pistol, Grenade, Blade, Machine Gun That Spelled Out…
- VIDEO: Donald Hits Back at CNN–‘The CLINTON News Network’
- WATCH: Idiot Writer Claims Americans Have NEVER Used Guns To Protect…
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Trey Gowdy Slams McCabe: ‘Fellow Bureau Agents’ Suggested He Be Fired, Not Trump’s Fault
- Report: Shooting at Maryland School — Armed Resource Officer Does His Job and Saves Dozens