A woman who slashed the throat of a seven-year-old boy and 16-month-old girl before telling a shocked onlooker ‘it had to be done’ – a court heard.
The two children screamed for their lives after Sadie Jenkins attacked them with a kitchen blade early one morning, Cardiff Crown Court was told.
The 28-year-old was then seen holding her weapon while saying that “it had to be done”.
A jury was told the youngest victim was only 16 months old and had a 2.4in-long (6cm) cut across their neck while the eldest had a horrific gaping wound and was cowering in a corner in fear.
The defendant was then found with a self-inflicted neck wound – before telling doctors “the voices told me to do it”.
Prosecuting counsel Paul Lewis QC told the court that regular amphetamine user Jenkins admits to carrying out the attack – but will claim to be suffering from a drug-induced psychosis at the time.
He said: “It is likely that it will be argued on her behalf that when the defendant attacked the children she was legally insane.
“Although she knew what she was doing, she will say that she did not know her actions were wrong.”
But Mr Lewis told the court the defendant appeared normal in the hours leading up to the attack at a home in Newport on May 7 last year.
He said the previous night had “passed uneventfully” and at 6am Jenkins was seen in the living room before offering a woman a cup of tea.
Read more: mirror.co.uk