Here’s some news that has law enforcement officials and lawmakers scratching their heads:
Iowa is granting permits to acquire or carry guns in public to people who are legally or completely blind.
No one questions the legality of the permits. State law does not allow sheriffs to deny an Iowan the right to carry a weapon based on physical ability.
The quandary centers squarely on public safety. Advocates for the disabled and Iowa law enforcement officers disagree over whether it’s a good idea for visually disabled Iowans to have weapons.
On one side: People such as Cedar County Sheriff Warren Wethington, who demonstrated for The Des Moines Register how blind people can be taught to shoot guns. And Jane Hudson, executive director of Disability Rights Iowa, who says blocking visually impaired people from the right to obtain weapon permits would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. That federal law generally prohibits different treatment based on disabilities
On the other side: People such as Dubuque County Sheriff Don Vrotsos, who said he wouldn’t issue a permit to someone who is blind. And Patrick Clancy, superintendent of the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School, who says guns may be a rare exception to his philosophy that blind people can participate fully in life.
Private gun ownership — even hunting — by visually impaired Iowans is nothing new. But the practice of visually impaired residents legally carrying firearms in public became widely possible thanks to gun permit changes that took effect in Iowa in 2011.
“It seems a little strange, but the way the law reads we can’t deny them (a permit) just based on that one thing,” said Sgt. Jana Abens, a spokeswoman for the Polk County Sheriff’s Department, referring to a visual disability.
Polk County officials say they’ve issued weapons permits to at least three people who can’t legally drive and were unable to read the application forms or had difficulty doing so because of visual impairments.
And sheriffs in three other counties — Jasper, Kossuth and Delaware — say they have granted permits to residents who they believe have severe visual impairments.
“I’m not an expert in vision,” Delaware County Sheriff John LeClere said. “At what point do vision problems have a detrimental effect to fire a firearm? If you see nothing but a blurry mass in front of you, then I would say you probably shouldn’t be shooting something.”
Training the visually impaired
In one Iowa county, blind residents who want weapons would likely receive special training.
Wethington, the Cedar County sheriff, has a legally blind daughter who plans to obtain a permit to carry when she turns 21 in about two years. He demonstrated for theRegister how he would train blind people who want to carry a gun.
“If sheriffs spent more time trying to keep guns out of criminals’ hands and not people with disabilities, their time would be more productive,” Wethington said as he and his daughter took turns practice shooting with a semi-automatic handgun on private property in rural Cedar County.
Read more: wtsp.com
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Bro Swims Out to GREAT WHITE SHARK…Watch What Happens
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Joy Behar Forbids Attacks on Comedians Because ‘We’re Important People Right Now’ [WATCH]
- WATCH: Moment Hero Cops Stopped and Killed Walmart Gunman, While Taking Fire, Caught on Camera
- ‘Taliban’ Hostages Return Home Revealing Gruesome Details — Reason Why They Were in Afghanistan Still Suspicious [Video]
- Authorities Confirm: 4 Times More People Killed with a Blade Than a Rifle
- Trump Takes Aim at Obama’s Iran Nuclear Deal, Preparing to…