The Iraqi military has officially announced it is to begin sharing “security and intelligence” information with Russia, Syria and Iran to help combat the advances of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group.
A statement issued by the Iraqi Joint Operations Command said the countries would “help and cooperate in collecting information about the terrorist Daesh group (using the Arabic acronym for ISIL).”
“It’s a committee coordinating between the four countries, with representatives of each country, in the field of military intelligence and aimed at sharing and analysing information,” Saad al-Hadithi, a spokesman for
Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s office, told the AFP news agency.
Hadithi said the countries would focus on “monitoring the movements of terrorists… and degrading their capacity”.
He did not say if they had already begun their work.
Al Jazeera’s Imran Khan, reporting from Baghdad, said despite the official announcement, the cooperation between the countries “was nothing new”.
“As the Syrian crisis became a war Iraqi militias went to Damascus to protect holy shrines there and to defend the Assad regime, in a deal brokered by Iran,” our correspondent said.
Read more: aljazeera.com
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- School Parades Kindergarteners in Gun-Control ‘Walkout’ — Did They Exploit the Children?
- California Appoints Illegal Alien to Office
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Trey Gowdy Slams McCabe: ‘Fellow Bureau Agents’ Suggested He Be Fired, Not Trump’s Fault
- Conservative Activists Detained by Airport Police in UK — Preventing Them from Inciting “Hatred”
- CAUGHT: Trump Sniffs Out Biggest Iranian Spy in White House
- Why I Killed Jeffrey Dahmer
- WATCH: CNN Busted on Gun-Control Agenda, On Their Own Network
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Nikolas Cruz ‘Smiling and Laughing’ in Life Behind Bars
- DEAR AMERICA: Should Donald Trump ACCEPT This Executive Order on the Second Amendment?
- Senator Kamala Harris Completes ‘Democrat Stupidity Course’ After Tweeting this Moronic Statement on Illegal Immigration
- Identical Twin Studies Show the Only Gay Genes that Exist are Made by Versace
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives