A North Carolina teen already facing federal charges for planning an ISIS-inspired mass shooting has been indicted for murdering his Burke County neighbor in December 2014, authorities said.
Justin Nojan Sullivan, 19, has been jailed since June 19 for his plot to kill “as many as 1,000 people” after purchasing a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle at a Hickory gun show over the summer. But before he put the Islamic State massacre into motion, authorities say the Morganton teen stole a rifle from his father, then shot dead his 74-year-old neighbor, John Bailey Clark Jr., on Dec. 18 and buried the body in his yard.
Sullivan, who lived with his parents a few houses down from his victim, then hid the .22-caliber Marlin rifle in a crawl space underneath his home, along with muddy clothes, a black ski mask and a lock-pick kit, according to a federal indictment.
A Burke County grand jury handed down the indictment Monday, David Learner, the state’s district attorney for the 25th District, told the Daily News. His office long suspected the teen, but had the luxury of being “very deliberate” in the investigation because Sullivan has been in custody since his federal arrest, he said.
A first-degree murder conviction carries the punishments of life in prison without parole or the death penalty, but Learner said it’s too early to say what he’ll pursue. It’s also unclear when Sullivan will face trial in state court. His trial on the federal terror-related charges is scheduled to begin Feb. 22.
Read more: NY Daily News
- Trump Retaliates After Democrat ‘Fabricated’ Slain Soldier Story — He Has Proof
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- 2,800 New Hillary Clinton Emails Recovered Off of Anthony Weiner’s Laptop
- BREAKING: Armed and Dangerous Killer on the Run — At Least 3 Dead
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- CNN Commentator: When it Come to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Awkward: Compilation Video of Celebrities Thanking Harvey Weinstein Goes Viral [WATCH]
- Gun Grabbing ‘Logic’: Dianne Feinstein Claims Constitution Does NOT Protect Conceal Carry — All 40 Million Americans She Represents Would Never Want a… [VIDEO]
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- Joy Behar Forbids Attacks on Comedians Because ‘We’re Important People Right Now’ [WATCH]
- Authorities Confirm: 4 Times More People Killed with a Blade Than a Rifle
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- WATCH: Hillary Clinton Greeted by a Swarm of ‘Boos’
- Vegas Shooting Survivor: ‘One week I was running from bullets, the next I was running from fire’
- University Cop Shot in the Back of the Head