A convicted terrorist with ties to the Islamic State group was caught trying to enter Europe in a migrant boat with asylum seekers arriving from Libya.
Ben Nasr Mehdi, a Tunisian who was first arrested in Italy in 2007 and sentenced to seven years in prison for plotting terror attacks with an Islamic State-linked group, was caught trying to re-enter the country last month by police in Sicily, The Independent reported.
He was found among 200 migrants rescued at sea by a navy vessel on Oct. 4. Despite giving a false name and claiming that he was seeking asylum in northern Europe to escape political persecution, fingerprints revealed his true identity, The Independent reported.
He was held along with three other men, suspected of human trafficking, and interrogated by Sicilian police. Several days later, Mehdi, 38, was repatriated to Tunisia.
Authorities initially tried to hide the arrest to avoid “panic” amid growing fears that Islamic terrorists may take advantage of the European Union’s lax border controls and openness to asylum seekers fleeing conflict in the Middle East.
Italy’s interior minister, Angelino Alfano, had previously said there was no evidence that Islamic terrorists were entering Europe aboard migrant boats, but he has said that Italian security forces are keeping an eye out for such a threat.
Read more: The Washington Times
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- CAUGHT: Trump Sniffs Out Biggest Iranian Spy in White House
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- Boy Scouts Given a New ‘Politically Correct’ Name
- SECOND AMENDMENT WIN: Application of Gun Control Act Shot Down by Federal Appellate Court
- EX-CONVICT: Has a Few Choice Words for Cop Haters and It’s EPIC
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- Formerly Known Boy Scouts Loses Over 400,000 Members
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?
- UN Military Vehicles Roaming This American State–Is Obama Fulfilling His Promise of a Global Police Force?