A convicted terrorist with ties to the Islamic State group was caught trying to enter Europe in a migrant boat with asylum seekers arriving from Libya.
Ben Nasr Mehdi, a Tunisian who was first arrested in Italy in 2007 and sentenced to seven years in prison for plotting terror attacks with an Islamic State-linked group, was caught trying to re-enter the country last month by police in Sicily, The Independent reported.
He was found among 200 migrants rescued at sea by a navy vessel on Oct. 4. Despite giving a false name and claiming that he was seeking asylum in northern Europe to escape political persecution, fingerprints revealed his true identity, The Independent reported.
He was held along with three other men, suspected of human trafficking, and interrogated by Sicilian police. Several days later, Mehdi, 38, was repatriated to Tunisia.
Authorities initially tried to hide the arrest to avoid “panic” amid growing fears that Islamic terrorists may take advantage of the European Union’s lax border controls and openness to asylum seekers fleeing conflict in the Middle East.
Italy’s interior minister, Angelino Alfano, had previously said there was no evidence that Islamic terrorists were entering Europe aboard migrant boats, but he has said that Italian security forces are keeping an eye out for such a threat.
Read more: The Washington Times
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- When You’re Trying to Riot and Your Mom Shows Up [WATCH]
- AUNT FROM HELL: ‘The Law Said I HAD To Sue’
- Woman Arrested after Trying to Flush Newborn Baby Down the Toilet
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- PERV ALERT: Group of Brooklyn Teens Grope Several Women
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment