The little girl known as “Baby Doe” was killed in her bedroom by her mother’s boyfriend — a man who was convinced the toddler was possessed by demons, a prosecutor told a Boston courtroom on Monday.
Bella Bond, 2, was found by a dog-walker in a trash bag on Deer Island in Boston Harbor on June 25 and was identified last week. Horrifying details about the girl’s short life and death were revealed in court Monday morning as her mom, Rachelle Bond, and Bond’s boyfriend, Michael McCarthy, were arraigned. McCarthy was held without bond. Bond was held on $1 million bail.
Bond and McCarthy were arrested last Friday. Assistant District Attorney David Deakin told a Dorchester District Court judge on Monday that a “lifelong friend” of McCarthy’s broke the case open. The friend told authorities he had lived with Bond and McCarthy for a week or two at some point, and was “appalled by their treatment” of Bella.
“What troubled him the most was that both of them, particularly Mr. McCarthy, had locked the girl in the closet for 30 minutes to an hour while she screamed to be let out,” Deakin said. “Mr. McCarthy told the lifelong friend that she was possessed by demons, and that’s why she deserved that treatment.”
The treatment escalated to deadly force sometime in late May, Deakin said Bond told authorities, when one night, Bella refused to go to bed.
“Mr. McCarthy said he was going to go to the back bedroom and calm her down,” Deakin said. When Bond went to check on them, he continued, “she found Mr. McCarthy standing over Bella… with his hand near her abdomen.”
“She went to her daughter and picked her up and she told police that she knew at that moment that her daughter was dead.”
No manner of death has been determined by a medical examiner, but it is believed that Bella died of suffocation from blunt force to her stomach, Deakin said.
McCarthy allegedly told Bond that Bella “was a demon anyway. It was her time to die.” He then allegedly threatened to kill Bond if she reported anything to police.
Both Bond, 40, and McCarthy, 35, have criminal records. McCarthy has been charged with murder and Bond is charged as an accessory after the fact. Both were involved in drugs, Deakin said. They will return to court on Oct. 20.
The friend who broke the case open told authorities he texted McCarthy, asking where Bella was after noticing a resemblance between the billboards put up across the city of Boston seeking information about Baby Doe. The friend said McCarthy claimed Bella had been taken away by child services, who twice visited Bella over the course of her lifetime but left her in Bond’s custody.
Read more: NBC News
- Marine Dakota Meyer Demolishes Transgender Navy SEALS Story…
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Imran Awan Allegedly Steals House Democrats’ Laptops, is Arrested; DWS Fights With Capitol Police — This is Big
- Hollywood Freaks After Trump Declares No Transgendered People to Serve in Military: ‘You just pissed off the wrong community.’
- Criminal Complaint to be Filed Against Animal Rights Activists Who Threatened Huntress, Leading to Her Suicide
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- Chris Hemsworth Thinks a Woman Should be the New Bond…
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- BREAKING: DC Transit Officer Involved with ISIS, Helped Them Get… UPDATE
- Busted: Chick Tries Framing Cop for Sexual Harassment, Then His Body-Cam Footage was Released
- Dear Parents: Would You Enroll Your Kids in a School That Teaches Them to Shoot, Gut and Cook Wild Animals?