The little girl known as “Baby Doe” was killed in her bedroom by her mother’s boyfriend — a man who was convinced the toddler was possessed by demons, a prosecutor told a Boston courtroom on Monday.
Bella Bond, 2, was found by a dog-walker in a trash bag on Deer Island in Boston Harbor on June 25 and was identified last week. Horrifying details about the girl’s short life and death were revealed in court Monday morning as her mom, Rachelle Bond, and Bond’s boyfriend, Michael McCarthy, were arraigned. McCarthy was held without bond. Bond was held on $1 million bail.
Bond and McCarthy were arrested last Friday. Assistant District Attorney David Deakin told a Dorchester District Court judge on Monday that a “lifelong friend” of McCarthy’s broke the case open. The friend told authorities he had lived with Bond and McCarthy for a week or two at some point, and was “appalled by their treatment” of Bella.
“What troubled him the most was that both of them, particularly Mr. McCarthy, had locked the girl in the closet for 30 minutes to an hour while she screamed to be let out,” Deakin said. “Mr. McCarthy told the lifelong friend that she was possessed by demons, and that’s why she deserved that treatment.”
The treatment escalated to deadly force sometime in late May, Deakin said Bond told authorities, when one night, Bella refused to go to bed.
“Mr. McCarthy said he was going to go to the back bedroom and calm her down,” Deakin said. When Bond went to check on them, he continued, “she found Mr. McCarthy standing over Bella… with his hand near her abdomen.”
“She went to her daughter and picked her up and she told police that she knew at that moment that her daughter was dead.”
No manner of death has been determined by a medical examiner, but it is believed that Bella died of suffocation from blunt force to her stomach, Deakin said.
McCarthy allegedly told Bond that Bella “was a demon anyway. It was her time to die.” He then allegedly threatened to kill Bond if she reported anything to police.
Both Bond, 40, and McCarthy, 35, have criminal records. McCarthy has been charged with murder and Bond is charged as an accessory after the fact. Both were involved in drugs, Deakin said. They will return to court on Oct. 20.
The friend who broke the case open told authorities he texted McCarthy, asking where Bella was after noticing a resemblance between the billboards put up across the city of Boston seeking information about Baby Doe. The friend said McCarthy claimed Bella had been taken away by child services, who twice visited Bella over the course of her lifetime but left her in Bond’s custody.
Read more: NBC News
- Pelosi Kicks Off Campaign Season With Perfect Gift to GOP [WATCH]
- WATCH: Ted Nugent Goes After David Hogg — ‘So Brainwashed’ He Can’t ‘be Fixed’
- BREAKING: FBI, DOJ Broke Law in Clinton Email Probe — Inspector General Declares
- Rape Victim’s Revenge: Woman Cuts Off Her Rapist’s Penis, Flushes it Down the Toilet and Beats Him to Death with a Hammer
- Obama’s Education Secretary, Arne Duncan, Wants Americans to Pull Students from School for Gun Control Push
- Here Are the Students Not Walking Out of School for Gun-Control
- GET NAKED: Professor Challenges Students to Get In Touch with “Erotic Self” by Getting Naked for Final Exam
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- Juan Williams HAMMERS CNN for Fake News Story that Hannity ‘Pulled a GUN’ on Him
- Female ISIS Militant Gives 300 LASHES to Another Woman for Refusing to…
- Watch: FBI Informant Claims ‘Secret Society’ of Agents Against President Donald Trump is Real
- Authorities Confronted YouTube Shooter Just Hours Before Shooting
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- New Bill Would Allow Guns On Public Campus Parking Lots and Bars
- INSIDE THE CRIME SCENE: Chilling Photos of James Holmes’ Attack
- UN Military Vehicles Roaming This American State–Is Obama Fulfilling His Promise of a Global Police Force?
- ‘BLOOD COMING OUT OF HER EVERYWHERE’: Donald Trump’s Twitter War Against Megyn Kelly Took a Nasty Turn When This Happened…
- KEEP WHITEY OUT: Black Students Don’t Want White Kids in Their Schools–Is This Racist?