The little girl known as “Baby Doe” was killed in her bedroom by her mother’s boyfriend — a man who was convinced the toddler was possessed by demons, a prosecutor told a Boston courtroom on Monday.
Bella Bond, 2, was found by a dog-walker in a trash bag on Deer Island in Boston Harbor on June 25 and was identified last week. Horrifying details about the girl’s short life and death were revealed in court Monday morning as her mom, Rachelle Bond, and Bond’s boyfriend, Michael McCarthy, were arraigned. McCarthy was held without bond. Bond was held on $1 million bail.
Bond and McCarthy were arrested last Friday. Assistant District Attorney David Deakin told a Dorchester District Court judge on Monday that a “lifelong friend” of McCarthy’s broke the case open. The friend told authorities he had lived with Bond and McCarthy for a week or two at some point, and was “appalled by their treatment” of Bella.
“What troubled him the most was that both of them, particularly Mr. McCarthy, had locked the girl in the closet for 30 minutes to an hour while she screamed to be let out,” Deakin said. “Mr. McCarthy told the lifelong friend that she was possessed by demons, and that’s why she deserved that treatment.”
The treatment escalated to deadly force sometime in late May, Deakin said Bond told authorities, when one night, Bella refused to go to bed.
“Mr. McCarthy said he was going to go to the back bedroom and calm her down,” Deakin said. When Bond went to check on them, he continued, “she found Mr. McCarthy standing over Bella… with his hand near her abdomen.”
“She went to her daughter and picked her up and she told police that she knew at that moment that her daughter was dead.”
No manner of death has been determined by a medical examiner, but it is believed that Bella died of suffocation from blunt force to her stomach, Deakin said.
McCarthy allegedly told Bond that Bella “was a demon anyway. It was her time to die.” He then allegedly threatened to kill Bond if she reported anything to police.
Both Bond, 40, and McCarthy, 35, have criminal records. McCarthy has been charged with murder and Bond is charged as an accessory after the fact. Both were involved in drugs, Deakin said. They will return to court on Oct. 20.
The friend who broke the case open told authorities he texted McCarthy, asking where Bella was after noticing a resemblance between the billboards put up across the city of Boston seeking information about Baby Doe. The friend said McCarthy claimed Bella had been taken away by child services, who twice visited Bella over the course of her lifetime but left her in Bond’s custody.
Read more: NBC News
- A Furious Mike Pence Takes on McCain After Senator Saved Obamacare [WATCH]
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- Japan Prepares for Mass Evacuation as Kim Jong-un Becomes More Unhinged
- Kimg Jong-un Replies to Trump: Plans to “Tame” the President with “Fire”
- Nun With Chainsaw: The Post Irma Clean Up Crew
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- DeVos to End Obama-era Campus Sexual Assault Policy — Plans to…
- LMAO: Washington Post is Turning Its Back on Elizabeth Warren, Label Her as ‘GRANDSTANDING PHONY’
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- The Female Celebrities Go on Attack: Anyone Who is a Trump Supporter, Especially Women, Should…
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Report: What Cops Have Discovered in Death of Eric Bolling’s Son
- BYE-BYE: UC Berkeley Loses Major Donor, Says It’s ‘For My Safety’