Just eight minutes after President Barack Obama wrapped up a White House press conference he called on Wednesday to defend a day-old nuclear deal with Iran, the Islamic republic’s supreme leader used Twitter to tweak him.
In a short letter to Obama that he posted on Twitter, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei wrote that it’s partner nations like China and Russia who should be watched carefully – not Iran – to make sure they honor the terms of the landmark bargain.
‘You are well aware that some of the six states participating in negotiations are not trustworthy at all,’ Khamenei wrote in a stunning rhetorical act of jiu-jitsu.
The agreement, signed by Iran, the U.S., Russia, China, France, the United Kingdom, Germany and the European Union, seeks to limit Tehran’s aggressive nuclear program in exchange for dropping a series of crippling economic sanctions.
American opponents of the arrangement, which still has to earn approval from Congress, have complained that Iran can’t be trusted to hold up its end by dramatically scaling back its uranium mining and processing, and starving for a decade what was thought to be a robust but covert nuclear weapons program.
Not so, says the Ayatollah: It’s the Europeans, Chinese and Russians who have to be monitored.
The final text of the deal, he warned in an awkward tweeted English translation, ‘needs careful scrutiny and must be directed into the defined legal process.’
And presuming Congress gives its ‘approval,’ Khamenei warned, Obama must ‘be concerned about possible violation of commitments by the other parties’ – ‘and close paths to it.’
The religious mullah offered his hope that Iran will ‘maintain unity and dignity so that national interests can be achieved in a peaceful and wisely atmosphere.’
Obama’s press conference ran long, ending at 2:33 p.m.
Khamenei’s tweet hit the Internet eight minutes later.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- GARY SINISE SHUTS DOWN LARRY KING: On Gun Control in the CLASSIEST Way Possible and We Love It [WATCH]
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall
- Watch: ‘Blue’ is the Best Documentary Against the Green Movement — Proves How They are Destroying the Earth
- Women’s Concealed Carry: Where Do We Hide the Gun?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer