Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush took shot after shot at real estate billionaire Donald Trump during Tuesday night’s GOP debate, calling the Republican front-runner an ‘unserious’ candidate who would be ‘a chaos president’ – but brought back a boomerang of insults and passive-aggressive jabs from The Donald.
During the Las Vegas slugfest, Trump complained that CNN‘s hosts focused inordinately on inviting his rivals to attack him ‘for ratings’.
‘You think this is tough and you’re not being treated fairly? Imagine what it’s going to be like dealing with [Vladimir] Putin, or dealing with President Xi [of China], or dealing with the Islamic terrorism that exists,’ he blasted Trump.
‘This isn’t tough at all,’ the high-polling tycoon responded with a frown. ‘I wish it was always as easy as you, Jeb.’
‘This is a tough business, to run for president,’ the earnest Bush continued, ‘and we need a leader who’s principled – you’re never going to be President of the United States by insulting your way to the presidency.’
‘Oh, I know, you’re a tough guy, Jeb,’ Trump mocked as an audience of 1,400 at The Venetian hotel fidgeted. ‘You’re real tough, Jeb.’
‘Let’s see: I’m at 42 [per cent] and you’re at three, so so far I’m doing better,’ Trump said, citing recent national polls of Republican voters.
Trump poked fun at Bush, who began the primary campaign cycle as an establishment favorite -occupying a debate podium near the middle of the stage – only to drift to the margins as his numbers grew more and more dismal.
‘You know, you started off over here, Jeb,’ Trump said, motioning to his center-stage position. ‘You’re moving over further and further. Pretty soon you’re going to be off the end.’
After the bruising Republican debate in Las Vegas last night, Trump’s wife Melania and two sons, Eric and Donald Jnr, wasted no time in congratulating the billionaire on his ‘very strong’ performance.
They joined him backstage in the spin room at the Venetian Hotel & Casino and later tweeted their support for the controversial front-runner.
Donald Trump Jnr posted a picture of the media scrum, saying: ‘The spin room post-debate mob scene after a very strong debate from @realdonaldtrump.’
Eric retweeted a post that said: ‘The highlight of the debate was Jeb (Bush’s) attempt at getting tough with Trump. Trump swatted him like a fly.’
Among the other issues raised during last night’s debate:
- Donald Trump and Ben Carson both committed their futures to the Republican Party
- Carson said his commitment depended on there being no brokered convention
- Trump claimed he had gained ‘tremendous respect for the Republican leadership
- Senator Lindsey Graham said he is not afraid of ‘shirtless’ Vladimir Putin
- Graham added that ISIS is a result of President Obama’s failed policies, not George W Bush’s
- He added that ISIS would be dancing in the street if Donald Trump banned Muslims
Carly FIorina, a former computer executive, was heard off-camera shouting about the hardscrabble verbal fusillades: ‘This doesn’t do a thing to solve the problem! This doesn’t do a thing to solve the problem!’
Trump, whose world-beating numbers are crushing Bush’s by a factor of more than ten, had showed uncharacteristic restraint earlier in the evening.
He brushed off Bush’s opening salvo, a complaint about his call for a moratorium on non-American Muslims entering the United States in the wake of deadly Islamist terror attacks, as a product of political desperation – never raising his voice.
‘This is not a serious proposal,’ Bush said of Trump’s policy prescription after debate moderator Wolf Blitzer asked him to justify calling Trump ‘unhinged’ when he first articulated his controversial idea.
Read more: Daily Mail
- California Appoints Illegal Alien to Office
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Conservative Activists Detained by Airport Police in UK — Preventing Them from Inciting “Hatred”
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- School Parades Kindergarteners in Gun-Control ‘Walkout’ — Did They Exploit the Children?
- CAUGHT: Trump Sniffs Out Biggest Iranian Spy in White House
- Alert: High School Shooting, One Dead and Multiple Wounded
- Nikolas Cruz ‘Smiling and Laughing’ in Life Behind Bars
- DEAR AMERICA: Should Donald Trump ACCEPT This Executive Order on the Second Amendment?
- Senator Kamala Harris Completes ‘Democrat Stupidity Course’ After Tweeting this Moronic Statement on Illegal Immigration
- Why I Killed Jeffrey Dahmer
- Identical Twin Studies Show the Only Gay Genes that Exist are Made by Versace
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- Watch: DREAMer Goes After Pelosi and Schumer, Thanks Trump Instead
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives