The Justice Department has granted immunity to a former State Department staffer, who worked on Hillary Clinton’s private email server, as part of a criminal investigation into the possible mishandling of classified information, according to a senior law enforcement official.
The official said the FBI had secured the cooperation of Bryan Pagliano, who worked on Clinton’s 2008 presidential campaign before setting up the server in her New York home in 2009.
As the FBI looks to wrap up its investigation in the coming months, agents are likely to want to interview Clinton and her senior aides about the decision to use a private server, how it was set up, and whether any of the participants knew they were sending classified information in emails, current and former officials said.
The inquiry comes against a political backdrop in which Clinton is the favorite to secure the Democratic nomination for the presidency.
So far, there is no indication that prosecutors have convened a grand jury in the email investigation to subpoena testimony or documents, which would require the participation of a U.S. attorney’s office.
Spokesmen at the FBI and Justice Department would not discuss the investigation. Pagliano’s attorney, Mark J. MacDougall, also declined to comment.
In a statement, Brian Fallon, a spokesman for the Clinton campaign, said: “As we have said since last summer, Secretary Clinton has been cooperating with the Department of Justice’s security inquiry, including offering in August to meet with them to assist their efforts if needed.”
He also said the campaign is “pleased” that Pagliano, who invoked his Fifth Amendment rights before a congressional panel in September, is now cooperating with prosecutors. The campaign had encouraged Pagliano to testify before Congress.
As part of the inquiry, law enforcement officials will look at the potential damage had the classified information in the emails been exposed. The Clinton campaign has described the probe as a security review. But current and former officials in the FBI and at the Justice Department have said investigators are trying to determine whether a crime was committed.
“There was wrongdoing,” said a former senior law enforcement official. “But was it criminal wrongdoing?”
Read more: The Washington Post
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Exposed: Hillary Clinton’s Web of Corruption — Russian Uranium Deal in the Center of it All
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- Faith Hill Touts for ‘Common Sense’ Gun Control: NRA Needs to ‘Tell the Truth’ on Guns
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]
- BILL DE BLASIO: Plans to DELETE Database of Illegal Aliens in NY to ‘Protect’ Them From Trump…
- REPORT: Charlie Sheen ‘Raped 13-year-old’ Child Actor
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- Trump Plans for Nation Wide Conceal Carry and END to Gun Control–Do You Dig It?
- Dude Starts Freaking When Chick Places Snake on His Lap in Most Hilarious Video