The father of the California woman allegedly shot dead by an illegal Mexican immigrant on a San Francisco pier has told how he wants justice for his daughter and hopes swift action on immigration will save other lives.
In an exclusive interview with Daily Mail Online an emotional Jim Steinle also recalled the desperate battle to save daughter Kathryn and how he watched her life ebb away as he held her in his arms.
Mr. Steinle said he did everything he could to revive her before paramedics arrived, including mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but Kathryn’s heart stopped repeatedly.
Speaking from his home in Pleasanton, California, the married father-of-two said: ‘Justice will prevail, we’re comfortable with that and I’m not wasting a moment of my thought process on anything else.
‘We’re hopeful that with what happened to Kate, maybe something will be done that will save a life so that won’t happen again… if one positive thing happens that saves a life then that’s good.’
Mr. Steinle’s comments came after his wife, Liz Sullivan, criticized the fact that alleged shooter Francisco Sanchez was not handed over to immigration officials when he was jailed months before the attack.
Sanchez, who has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is being held at San Francisco County Jail, had been deported five times and immigration officials had asked any law enforcement officers to hand him over as a ‘priority’ request.
But after he was arrested over marijuana possession and distribution in San Francisco four months ago he was let go, in accordance with a city policy designed to give ‘sanctuary’ to undocumented migrants.
Speaking to NBC Bay Area, Kathryn’s mother Liz said: ‘It would have been so much better if he were gone. Absolutely.’
While the parents are still trying to come to terms with what happened their daughter’s death has reignited the political debate over immigration.
Donald Trump weighed in on the killing and claimed it proved U.S. border controls were ‘totally out of control’ and need to be bolstered by a solid wall along the nation’s southern frontier.
Asked about Trump’s stance, Mr. Steinle said: ‘That’s the Donald being the Donald and we’re not going to get caught up in that.
‘An arrest has been made and the police called to let us know. We’re not going to get involved in the politics that’s going in so many ways.
‘It was an evil thing that happened, but the goodness of people calling us and leaving flowers is our focus.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Trump Attacks Everyone in Morning Twitter Rant
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Liberal Journalist Calls Sarah Huckabee Sanders a ‘Butch Queen’
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci is a Staunch Gun Control Supporter
- Sean Spicer is Out: Quits Job as Press Secretary and is Replaced by…
- Bill de Blasio Snubbed at Funeral for Slain Female NYPD Officer
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]