The father of the California woman allegedly shot dead by an illegal Mexican immigrant on a San Francisco pier has told how he wants justice for his daughter and hopes swift action on immigration will save other lives.
In an exclusive interview with Daily Mail Online an emotional Jim Steinle also recalled the desperate battle to save daughter Kathryn and how he watched her life ebb away as he held her in his arms.
Mr. Steinle said he did everything he could to revive her before paramedics arrived, including mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but Kathryn’s heart stopped repeatedly.
Speaking from his home in Pleasanton, California, the married father-of-two said: ‘Justice will prevail, we’re comfortable with that and I’m not wasting a moment of my thought process on anything else.
‘We’re hopeful that with what happened to Kate, maybe something will be done that will save a life so that won’t happen again… if one positive thing happens that saves a life then that’s good.’
Mr. Steinle’s comments came after his wife, Liz Sullivan, criticized the fact that alleged shooter Francisco Sanchez was not handed over to immigration officials when he was jailed months before the attack.
Sanchez, who has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is being held at San Francisco County Jail, had been deported five times and immigration officials had asked any law enforcement officers to hand him over as a ‘priority’ request.
But after he was arrested over marijuana possession and distribution in San Francisco four months ago he was let go, in accordance with a city policy designed to give ‘sanctuary’ to undocumented migrants.
Speaking to NBC Bay Area, Kathryn’s mother Liz said: ‘It would have been so much better if he were gone. Absolutely.’
While the parents are still trying to come to terms with what happened their daughter’s death has reignited the political debate over immigration.
Donald Trump weighed in on the killing and claimed it proved U.S. border controls were ‘totally out of control’ and need to be bolstered by a solid wall along the nation’s southern frontier.
Asked about Trump’s stance, Mr. Steinle said: ‘That’s the Donald being the Donald and we’re not going to get caught up in that.
‘An arrest has been made and the police called to let us know. We’re not going to get involved in the politics that’s going in so many ways.
‘It was an evil thing that happened, but the goodness of people calling us and leaving flowers is our focus.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- ALERT: Bomb Threat Reported for Central London Tube Trains
- Photo Gallery
- BARBARIC: Two White Teenagers Beat Black Friend Hold her Down to Get Raped
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- Taking Up Arms: NJ Couple Brutally Beaten and Sexually Assaulted Become Gun Owners
- Maxine Waters: ‘I think too much credit is given to presidents about how the markets are working…’
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Syrians React to Trump’s Bombing of Airbase… LOVE What the President Did