The father of the California woman allegedly shot dead by an illegal Mexican immigrant on a San Francisco pier has told how he wants justice for his daughter and hopes swift action on immigration will save other lives.
In an exclusive interview with Daily Mail Online an emotional Jim Steinle also recalled the desperate battle to save daughter Kathryn and how he watched her life ebb away as he held her in his arms.
Mr. Steinle said he did everything he could to revive her before paramedics arrived, including mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but Kathryn’s heart stopped repeatedly.
Speaking from his home in Pleasanton, California, the married father-of-two said: ‘Justice will prevail, we’re comfortable with that and I’m not wasting a moment of my thought process on anything else.
‘We’re hopeful that with what happened to Kate, maybe something will be done that will save a life so that won’t happen again… if one positive thing happens that saves a life then that’s good.’
Mr. Steinle’s comments came after his wife, Liz Sullivan, criticized the fact that alleged shooter Francisco Sanchez was not handed over to immigration officials when he was jailed months before the attack.
Sanchez, who has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is being held at San Francisco County Jail, had been deported five times and immigration officials had asked any law enforcement officers to hand him over as a ‘priority’ request.
But after he was arrested over marijuana possession and distribution in San Francisco four months ago he was let go, in accordance with a city policy designed to give ‘sanctuary’ to undocumented migrants.
Speaking to NBC Bay Area, Kathryn’s mother Liz said: ‘It would have been so much better if he were gone. Absolutely.’
While the parents are still trying to come to terms with what happened their daughter’s death has reignited the political debate over immigration.
Donald Trump weighed in on the killing and claimed it proved U.S. border controls were ‘totally out of control’ and need to be bolstered by a solid wall along the nation’s southern frontier.
Asked about Trump’s stance, Mr. Steinle said: ‘That’s the Donald being the Donald and we’re not going to get caught up in that.
‘An arrest has been made and the police called to let us know. We’re not going to get involved in the politics that’s going in so many ways.
‘It was an evil thing that happened, but the goodness of people calling us and leaving flowers is our focus.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Austin Bomber Dead — Blows Himself Up
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- PETA Bounty: Alleged Frenchman Kicks Squirrel into Grand Canyon, PETA Places $16K Bounty on His Head
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- Barbra Streisand: I’m No #MeToo Victim, I Was Never Sexually Harassed
- HOUSE REPORT: War on ISIS is NOT Going Well, Government LIED so Obama Would Look Good
- State County to Assign Armed Guards to Every Public School
- NOT SO SHOCKING: The Always Angry Actress, Kristen Stewart, Turns Lesbian and Mom Approves
- Muslim Chick Urges to ‘Stand Together’ While Wearing Burka with Pistol, Grenade, Blade, Machine Gun That Spelled Out…
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- WATCH: Idiot Writer Claims Americans Have NEVER Used Guns To Protect…
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Report: Shooting at Maryland School — Armed Resource Officer Does His Job and Saves Dozens
- Officer Mohamed Noor Refuses to Cooperate With Investigators After Shooting Dead Yoga Teacher
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- The Two Missing Minutes in Case Where Officer Mohamed Noor Shot the Yoga Teacher
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]