President-elect Donald Trump is considering retired General David Petraeus to be secretary of state and plans to meet with the former CIA director Monday in New York, according to a senior official with the transition.
The celebrated four-star general, who left government under a cloud for sharing classified documents during an extramarital affair, is meeting with the president-elect amid infighting among Trump’s advisers about who to pick for the post. The possibility that Trump might instead tap former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney has fueled an extraordinary public lobbying campaign against him.
Kellyanne Conway, who managed Trump’s campaign and is now a senior adviser to his transition, said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that she is “just astonished at the breathtaking volume and intensity of blow-back that I see” toward the possibility of Romney serving as the nation’s top diplomat.“In the last four years, I mean, has he been around the globe doing something on behalf of the U.S. of which we’re unaware? Did he go and intervene in Syria where they’re having a massive humanitarian crisis?” she asked on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “Has he been helpful to Mr. Netanyahu?” she asked, referring to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
A top transition official said that many in Trump’s camp support having Petraeus fill the position. Trump is “inclined” to pick Petraeus, according to the official, yet he is weighing whether it’s a good idea to have two retired generals heading the State Department and Pentagon. General James Mattis has been under consideration to head the Defense Department.
Since leaving the CIA, Petraeus has been teaching and working as chairman of the KKR Global Institute, which analyzes global trends for KKR & Co., the New York-based investment firm. The role took him around the globe to Asia, the Middle East and Latin America. He also made frequent presentations to the firm’s existing and potential investors, and he was promoted to a partner of KKR in December 2014. Some stock analysts have saidPetraeus’s unit has become a factor differentiating KKR from its publicly traded peers.
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- WATCH: ABC’s Pathetic Attempt to Connect White House Rob Porter Drama with Florida Massacre
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Obama’s ‘Legacy’ and the 10 Ways He DESTROYED America
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- WATCH: Trey Gowdy Reveals How Clinton, DNC are GUILTY of Money Laundering
- Watch: DREAMer Goes After Pelosi and Schumer, Thanks Trump Instead
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- ‘Mother of All Bombs’ Aftermath: First Footage Shows Absolute DESTRUCTION of ISIS Fortress
- Black Panther Trailer, ‘World is Changing… Soon There will be the Conquered and the Conquerors’
- Chelsea Clinton Makes the Most OBNOXIOUS Comment Why Hillary Lost…GET OVER YOURSELF!
- Trump Wins: Bill Moves Forward to Expose Congressional Sexual Harassers
- Not So Sly: Killer Posts RIP Message on Victims Facebook to Make it Seem She was Mourning