There’s a lot of confusion out there about what just happened with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
The first thing we need to understand is this entire episode should have been regarded as a treaty by the Constitution. The machinations instituted completely bastardized the established process we have within our Rule of Law.
The second point is that upon assuming control of the US Senate, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell reversed Harry Reid’s filibuster rule and returned it back to the 60-vote threshold. Since the JCPOA was not brought forth as a treaty, it was not about President Obama getting approval — two thirds — it was about his surviving disapproval by way of veto. This is what the Republican-controlled Senate agreed to. When it was brought to the floor for vote, only one senator voted against the measure — Arkansas Freshman Senator Tom Cotton — who was viciously assailed. In hindsight, he was courageous, and right.
The result is that 42 Senate Democrats blocked the resolution for disapproval of the JCPOA from even coming to the Senate floor, so President Obama doesn’t even have to use his veto. If Majority Leader McConnell had kept the filibuster threshold Reid had implemented, this wouldn’t have been possible because it would have been a simple majority.
As Fox News reports:
Senate Democrats voted to uphold the hard-fought nuclear accord with Iran on Thursday, overcoming ferocious GOP opposition and delivering President Barack Obama a legacy-making victory on his top foreign policy priority.
A disapproval resolution for the agreement fell two votes short of the 60 needed to move forward as most Democratic and independent senators banded together against it. Although House Republicans continued to pursue eleventh-hour strategies to derail the international accord and Senate Republicans promised a re-vote, Thursday’s outcome all but guaranteed that the disapproval legislation would not reach Obama’s desk.
As a result the nuclear deal will move forward unchecked by Congress, an improbable win by Obama in the face of unanimous opposition from Republicans who control Capitol Hill, GOP candidates seeking to replace him in the Oval Office and the state of Israel and its allied lobbyists in the U.S.
Beginning next week, Obama will be free to start scaling back U.S. sanctions to implement the agreement negotiated by Iran, the U.S. and five other world powers. The accord aims to constrain Iran’s nuclear ambitions in exchange for hundreds of billions of dollars in relief from international sanctions.
“This vote is a victory for diplomacy, for American national security and for the safety and security of the world,” the president said in a statement. “Going forward, we will turn to the critical work of implementing and verifying this deal so that Iran cannot pursue a nuclear weapon.”
I find it unconscionable that President Obama continues to promote his own false narrative. It’s as if he’s not been privy to the news — for example, that Iran’s supreme leader has vowed Americans will not be part of any inspection team.
The word I’ve received from Capitol Hill is that the GOP-controlled Senate is scrambling to try and find other courses of action to revisit a vote.
My recommendation is that they just drop it. Drop it because they’ve already been utterly embarrassed and made to look abjectly incompetent. The GOP asked for a Senate majority, got it — and yet, sadly, they still found a way to secure defeat from the jaws of victory.
And so on Monday, President Barack Obama will be known as a financier to the number one state sponsor of Islamic terrorism. Let him own this. And every single one of the 42 Democrats who voted to block the JCPOA coming to the floor, let them own this.
This is no different from the Affordable Care Act, Dodd-Frank, all the excessive regulations and the incessant executive orders. Let Obama and his progressive socialist acolytes own it all. Let the American people start to realize what happens when the country is ruled instead of governed.
Read more: allenbwest.com
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- WATCH: ‘Innocent’ Lion Starts Eating Cape Buffalo that’s Still Alive… Then his Buddies Interfere
- Second Suspect in London Tube Bombing is a Syrian Migrant [VIDEO]
- Kaepernick Was About to Get Signed, Then His Girlfriend Tweeted Racist Message About Ray Lewis
- ALERT: Bomb Threat Reported for Central London Tube Trains
- Photo Gallery
- BARBARIC: Two White Teenagers Beat Black Friend Hold her Down to Get Raped
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…