Disturbing photos of a teen beaten at a Georgia prison — apparently captured on an inmate’s cellphone — made it onto Facebook before corrections officials even knew he had been hurt, the victim’s family told NBC News on Wednesday.
Cortez Berry was assaulted at the Al Burruss Correctional Training Center in Forsyth in what his family says was an gang attack. The assailants apparently posted cellphone pictures to Facebook showing Berry crouched below two shirtless young men, his eye swollen shut and his neck threaded through a makeshift leash.
After seeing the pictures online, his relatives say they made panicked calls to the facility that went unanswered until Berry’s aunt, Shavonda Wright, drove to the prison and knocked on the door.
“I rang the buzzer, nobody came,” said Wright, 34. “So then I called and I said you have to go check on my nephew. I said there is something wrong with him because we have seen disturbing photos.”
The Department of Correction said the attack was under investigation. It confirmed Berry is the teen in the photo, making him the latest high-profile victim of a prison system advocates and families say is out of control — and highlighting the growing presence of cellphones in prison.
Earlier this month, NBC News reported the DOC confiscated more than 13,500 cell phones last year. In some cases, they have been used to extort families of other prisoners.
The Augusta Chronicle reported that Berry’s girlfriend got a call demanding $300 to keep him safe, but the caller hung up. Wright and Harris said they received no demands, but that Berry told them the beating was gang-motivated.
He told his aunt that on Friday afternoon, the day before he turned 18, a group of men tried to get him to join a gang known as the Gangster Disciples or GD Nation.
“They said bro, you might as well go ahead and join the GD, because you’re about to turn 18,” Berry said, according to Wright. At 18, he would be moved from the juvenile to the adult areas of the facility.
Berry said he refused, then they jumped him and posted the pictures on Facebook with the caption “WEN YHU DISRESPECT DA NATION…IT BRINGZ NUTHIN BUT PAIN & SUFFERINGG..”
Read more: NBC News
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- Watch: Protesters Destroy Confederate Monument in North Carolina to ‘Smash White Supremacy’
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Neo-Nazi Groups are Now Recognized as Terrorist Organizations — Shouldn’t Black Lives Matter Also?
- Mistakes First Time Buyers Make When Buying A Gun And How To Avoid Them
- Charlottesville Police Chief Says Everyone was Guilty of Violence: ‘Mutually Combating Individuals In The Crowd’
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- American Airlines Flight Bursts into Flames During Takeoff in Chicago
- ASHLEY MADISON FOUNDER: Emails Reveal His Wife Might Want to Divorce Him…
- 5 Legal Stupidities on the 9th Circuit Court Keeping it’s Ruling Against Trump’s Travel Ban
- Trump to North Korea: You “will be met with fire, fury and frankly power, the likes of which the world has never seen before.”