Beginning at 10:00 AM EDT today, the United States Supreme Court will begin hearing oral arguments in cases from four states regarding marriage. For two and a half hours, and likely a bit longer, the nine justices will ask questions, listen, probe, and ultimately over the next few months, decide if “gay marriage” legally will be “marriage.”
Attorney Mary Bonauto, who was the lead counsel on the team that brought marriage equality to Massachusetts in 2004, and helped in the Supreme Court case that struck down Section 3 of DOMA, will argue for the plaintiffs.
The cases are from Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee, which comprise the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals – the only appellate court that has upheld a state’s right to ban same-sex marriage.
Technically, the justices will be hearing arguments based on two questions:
Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex?
Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-state?
Read more: thenewcivilrightsmovement.com
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- Trump Attacks Everyone in Morning Twitter Rant
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Gang of 4 Stalk 50yr-Old Woman, ‘Forced Her to Perform Oral Sex at Gunpoint’ [Video]
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci is a Staunch Gun Control Supporter
- When the Creatures of WALMART are Photographed…
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Liberal Journalist Calls Sarah Huckabee Sanders a ‘Butch Queen’
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Exposed: Maxine Waters Lives in Highly Segregated Wealthy Community, No Where Near Her Represented District