The state of Maryland recently took a huge step in confronting racial profiling and discriminatory stops by police officers.
On August 25, 2015, state attorney general, Brian Frosh, released a statement of new police guidelines that spell out for the first time that police officers may not in any way use discriminatory decisions about the appearance of an individual as guidance when interacting with citizens.
This may seem like something that should have already been on the books – and it should have been – but with this new announcement, Maryland has actually become the first state to expressly articulate this and prohibit police from making discriminatory stops.
The Attorney General’s memo explains, “officers in any law enforcement agency in Maryland may not consider race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or gender identity to any degree during routine police operations.”
Racial profiling is a longstanding and deeply troubling national problem despite claims that the United States has entered a “post-racial era.” It occurs every day, in cities and towns across the country, when law enforcement and private security target people of color for humiliating and often frightening detentions, interrogations, and searches without evidence of criminal activity and based on perceived race, ethnicity, national origin, or religion. Racial profiling is patently illegal, violating the U.S. Constitution’s core promises of equal protection under the law to all and freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. Just as importantly, racial profiling is ineffective. It alienates communities from law enforcement, hinders community policing efforts, and causes law enforcement to lose credibility and trust among the people they are sworn to protect and serve.
“Police do a dangerous, difficult job, and they do it well. But experience shows us that improper profiling by police does terrible damage,” Frosh explained in a statement about the new guidelines.
Read more: countercurrentnews.com
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- ‘YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN AFRICA’: Group of Black People Taunt BIKINI-CLAD Woman, She Instantly Loses Her Sh*t [VIDEO]
- WATCH: Sarah Palin Says She’s Never Been Sexually Harassed Because Everyone Knows She Has a…
- Prostitute Shoots Man in the Head Because He Didn’t Know How to…
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- Kathy Griffin Attacks Trump Again in Bizarre Video [WATCH]
- WATCH: Off-Duty Police Officer Caught in Gun Fight While Holding His Young Child
- The Best Scopes for Your Hunting Rifle
- 2yr-Old Beats Stage 4 Cancer with Breakthrough Treatment
- CNN Commentator: When it Comes to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- Watch: When Americans ‘Steal’ Illegal Immigrants’ Job
- Child Sex Slave Escapes Captor, But Now She is the One in Jail
- Senator Al Fraken Caught Sexually Harassing a Model
- San Fran Transit Refuses to Release CCTV Footage for Criminal Investigations, Because Racism
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- USA Today Warns Americans to Beware Of AR-15 Armed With Chainsaws, No Joke [WATCH]
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost
- Father With a Gun: Daughter Saved by Her Dad After Gang Tries to…