Chicago’s disgraced police department is facing a federal civil rights investigation after cops were caught appearing to ‘delete’ footage of teen Laquan McDonald being shot 16 times by a white police officer.
Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate whether the department’s practices violate federal and constitutional law.
This week Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel ousted the city’s police chief after a public outcry over the handling of the case, but now footage has emerged on social media in which a Chicago police officer accuses Emanuel of colluding in a cover-up.
It shows an officer state that Emanuel ‘paid the family to shut them up.’
Emanuel announced at a news conference on Tuesday morning that he had dismissed Superintendent Garry McCarthy, who only days ago insisted to reporters that the mayor had his ‘back.’
Protesters had been calling for McCarthy’s dismissal for days. He has been at the helm of the Chicago PD since May 2011.
Laquan McDonald’s family spoke out in praise of Emanuel’s decision, but said they were shocked by the news that there had been a $5 million settlement with the city after Laquan’s death – they said it was negotiated by his great uncle.
‘No one in my family would settle for this. And if it was the case of this happening, I don’t know about it, and I was his caregiver,’ uncle Shyrell Johnson told FOX 32 Chicago.
At the weekend never-before-seen screengrabs emerged from inside a Chicago Burger King showing what appears to be police officers at a computer terminal on the night of October 20, 2014, when McDonald was gunned down.
On Tuesday, Madigan said the death of McDonald, raises serious questions about the use of lawful and excessive force.
She says trust in the police department is ‘broken’.
In a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Madigan noted four other high-profile cases in Chicago, including the death of Ronald Johnson, 25,who was shot by police last year.
‘The shocking death of Laquan McDonald is the latest tragedy in our city that highlights serious questions about the use of unlawful and excessive force by Chicago police officers and the lack of accountability for such abuse,’ Madigan said.
Read more: Daily Mail
- REPORT: Hillary Got ‘PHYSICALLY VIOLENT’ After Losing–ATTACKED Staff and Had to be ‘Restrained’
- Informant on Clinton, Russia Uranium Deal has been Identified
- Skinny Dipping Biden: Female Secret Service Agents Hate Being Assigned to Biden, But Hillary is Worse
- VIDEO: Hillary Cries Hysterically After Losing–Blames Comey & Obama
- Self-Defense When Bugging Out: 7 Tips to Keep In Mind
- Bill Clinton Finally Being Targeted for His Sexual Abuse to Women [WATCH]
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- WATCH: Drake Defends Female Fans After Man Gropes Them During Concert
- Texas Shooting: Two Heroes Who Chased Down Shooter Reveal What Happened
- Father With a Gun: Daughter Saved by Her Dad After Gang Tries to…
- A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE: Syrian Rebels Release a Video of Them Shooting Islamic State Militants
- Senator Al Fraken Caught Sexually Harassing a Model
- New Muslim Barbie Comes Dressed in Hijab and Hatred Towards President Trump
- Gun Yoga, Is It a Real Thing? [WATCH]
- THE KILL LIST: Islamic State has Released List of American Cities They Plan on Attacking
- TERRIFYING: Family Trapped in Their Vehicle as LIONS Fight Over Carcass Under the WHEEL
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- WATCH: Judge Jeanine Rips Apart Michael Moore