Chicago’s disgraced police department is facing a federal civil rights investigation after cops were caught appearing to ‘delete’ footage of teen Laquan McDonald being shot 16 times by a white police officer.
Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate whether the department’s practices violate federal and constitutional law.
This week Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel ousted the city’s police chief after a public outcry over the handling of the case, but now footage has emerged on social media in which a Chicago police officer accuses Emanuel of colluding in a cover-up.
It shows an officer state that Emanuel ‘paid the family to shut them up.’
Emanuel announced at a news conference on Tuesday morning that he had dismissed Superintendent Garry McCarthy, who only days ago insisted to reporters that the mayor had his ‘back.’
Protesters had been calling for McCarthy’s dismissal for days. He has been at the helm of the Chicago PD since May 2011.
Laquan McDonald’s family spoke out in praise of Emanuel’s decision, but said they were shocked by the news that there had been a $5 million settlement with the city after Laquan’s death – they said it was negotiated by his great uncle.
‘No one in my family would settle for this. And if it was the case of this happening, I don’t know about it, and I was his caregiver,’ uncle Shyrell Johnson told FOX 32 Chicago.
At the weekend never-before-seen screengrabs emerged from inside a Chicago Burger King showing what appears to be police officers at a computer terminal on the night of October 20, 2014, when McDonald was gunned down.
On Tuesday, Madigan said the death of McDonald, raises serious questions about the use of lawful and excessive force.
She says trust in the police department is ‘broken’.
In a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Madigan noted four other high-profile cases in Chicago, including the death of Ronald Johnson, 25,who was shot by police last year.
‘The shocking death of Laquan McDonald is the latest tragedy in our city that highlights serious questions about the use of unlawful and excessive force by Chicago police officers and the lack of accountability for such abuse,’ Madigan said.
Read more: Daily Mail
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Imran Awan Allegedly Steals House Democrats’ Laptops, is Arrested; DWS Fights With Capitol Police — This is Big
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Hollywood Freaks After Trump Declares No Transgendered People to Serve in Military: ‘You just pissed off the wrong community.’
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Staffer Tries Fleeing Country After FBI Seize Bashed in Hard Drives
- FBI Grabs Smashed Hard Drives from Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Aides
- Fast & Furious Eric Holder Attacks Trump for Corruption
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- Trump Says No To Trans People In The Military
- RNC Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel Warns DWS Obstructed Potential National Security Threat [VIDEO]
- SANCTUARY CITY: Releases Dominican Accused of CHILD RAPE
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Trump’s Travel Ban Stops a MAJOR THREAT — But You Won’t Hear the MSM Talking About It
- Regis and Her Father on Fox and Friends
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- Watch: CNN’s Poppy Harlow Confuses American National Anthem for French Anthem