Chicago’s disgraced police department is facing a federal civil rights investigation after cops were caught appearing to ‘delete’ footage of teen Laquan McDonald being shot 16 times by a white police officer.
Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate whether the department’s practices violate federal and constitutional law.
This week Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel ousted the city’s police chief after a public outcry over the handling of the case, but now footage has emerged on social media in which a Chicago police officer accuses Emanuel of colluding in a cover-up.
It shows an officer state that Emanuel ‘paid the family to shut them up.’
Emanuel announced at a news conference on Tuesday morning that he had dismissed Superintendent Garry McCarthy, who only days ago insisted to reporters that the mayor had his ‘back.’
Protesters had been calling for McCarthy’s dismissal for days. He has been at the helm of the Chicago PD since May 2011.
Laquan McDonald’s family spoke out in praise of Emanuel’s decision, but said they were shocked by the news that there had been a $5 million settlement with the city after Laquan’s death – they said it was negotiated by his great uncle.
‘No one in my family would settle for this. And if it was the case of this happening, I don’t know about it, and I was his caregiver,’ uncle Shyrell Johnson told FOX 32 Chicago.
At the weekend never-before-seen screengrabs emerged from inside a Chicago Burger King showing what appears to be police officers at a computer terminal on the night of October 20, 2014, when McDonald was gunned down.
On Tuesday, Madigan said the death of McDonald, raises serious questions about the use of lawful and excessive force.
She says trust in the police department is ‘broken’.
In a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Madigan noted four other high-profile cases in Chicago, including the death of Ronald Johnson, 25,who was shot by police last year.
‘The shocking death of Laquan McDonald is the latest tragedy in our city that highlights serious questions about the use of unlawful and excessive force by Chicago police officers and the lack of accountability for such abuse,’ Madigan said.
Read more: Daily Mail
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- PERV ALERT: Group of Brooklyn Teens Grope Several Women
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment