An off-duty officer was not taking ‘official police action’ when he was killed in a shootout with a neighbor, and there is not enough evidence to charge the neighbor with murder, a police chief said Tuesday.
Police Director Toney Armstrong told reporters that witnesses gave authorities different stories about what happened when the officer, who was on his way to work, ‘exchanged words’ with his neighbor, Lorenzo Clark, 36.
It is not clear what the two men were talking about when the conversation escalated or who fired the first shot, Armstrong said.
Officer Terence Olridge, 31, died after the shootout Sunday afternoon. Clark is being held on $100,000 bond on a charge of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
Olridge was shot multiple times as the encounter turned into an exchange of gunfire on a typically quiet street where children play in the street and ride bicycles in Cordova, a Memphis suburb.
Olridge was not in complete police uniform but he used his service weapon in the shootout, Armstrong said. It’s not clear exactly what Olridge was wearing that might have identified him as an officer.
The shooting is not being treated as a death of an officer in the line of duty ‘do to the fact that officer Olridge was not on duty at the time nor was he taking an official police action.’
While Armstrong said there is not enough evidence to directly charge Clark with the officer’s death, he did say the investigation in ongoing.
Clark told police he had a 9mm Glock handgun in his pants, took the gun out and started firing several shots in the street, according to an affidavit. Clark fired ‘several shots which resulted in a death,’ the affidavit said.
After the shooting, Clark surrendered peacefully, police said.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- Hillary Clinton is ‘Done With Being a Candidate’
- Buffalo Bill’s Personal Armory
- WATCH: ‘Innocent’ Lion Starts Eating Cape Buffalo that’s Still Alive… Then his Buddies Interfere
- Second Suspect in London Tube Bombing is a Syrian Migrant [VIDEO]
- Kaepernick Was About to Get Signed, Then His Girlfriend Tweeted Racist Message About Ray Lewis
- ALERT: Bomb Threat Reported for Central London Tube Trains
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism