An off-duty officer was not taking ‘official police action’ when he was killed in a shootout with a neighbor, and there is not enough evidence to charge the neighbor with murder, a police chief said Tuesday.
Police Director Toney Armstrong told reporters that witnesses gave authorities different stories about what happened when the officer, who was on his way to work, ‘exchanged words’ with his neighbor, Lorenzo Clark, 36.
It is not clear what the two men were talking about when the conversation escalated or who fired the first shot, Armstrong said.
Officer Terence Olridge, 31, died after the shootout Sunday afternoon. Clark is being held on $100,000 bond on a charge of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
Olridge was shot multiple times as the encounter turned into an exchange of gunfire on a typically quiet street where children play in the street and ride bicycles in Cordova, a Memphis suburb.
Olridge was not in complete police uniform but he used his service weapon in the shootout, Armstrong said. It’s not clear exactly what Olridge was wearing that might have identified him as an officer.
The shooting is not being treated as a death of an officer in the line of duty ‘do to the fact that officer Olridge was not on duty at the time nor was he taking an official police action.’
While Armstrong said there is not enough evidence to directly charge Clark with the officer’s death, he did say the investigation in ongoing.
Clark told police he had a 9mm Glock handgun in his pants, took the gun out and started firing several shots in the street, according to an affidavit. Clark fired ‘several shots which resulted in a death,’ the affidavit said.
After the shooting, Clark surrendered peacefully, police said.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Trump Attacks Everyone in Morning Twitter Rant
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Demonic: Group of Teens Laugh and Mock Disabled Man Drowning in Pond, Film the Whole Incident
- Liberal Journalist Calls Sarah Huckabee Sanders a ‘Butch Queen’
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- Report Reveals Officer Mohamed Noor was a ‘Diversity’ Hire for Police Station
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci is a Staunch Gun Control Supporter
- Starbucks Customer Nails Armed Robber with Chair and Saves the Day [Watch]
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Michigan: New Law Guarantees Female Genital Mutilators Will Receive Harsh Punishment