On a November morning in 2013, Erica Hammel learned over the phone that her 1-year-old son Wyatt was near death — hospitalized with a skull fracture and brain damage after being violently shaken by a woman trusted to care for him.
Hammel would later learn the woman had twice been convicted of child abuse — a revelation that led the Michigan mother to fight for a state-wide child abuser registry, which, if passed, would be the first of its kind in the nation.
Wyatt, now 3, survived — having undergone four brain surgeries — but has significant impairment. Hammel said she believes a public registry with instant access to prior offenses — much like that of a sex offender registry — would have prevented her son’s ordeal.
“She had been convicted twice of child abuse in the past and I had no idea,” Hammel said of her son’s abuser, Rachel Edwards, who was living with Hammel’s ex-husband in a rental home in a Detroit suburb at the time of the incident.
“Children are the most innocent and vulnerable members of society. At age one, Wyatt obviously couldn’t fight back,” Hammel, 27, of St. Clair Shores, Mich., told FoxNews.com.
“Having this type of law would prevent others from going through what my son did,” Hammel said of the bills — collectively known as “Wyatt’s Law” — which are currently under consideration by the Michigan state legislature.
Read more: Fox News
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- VIDEO: Students ‘Protest’ Gun Violence by Laying Around Doing Nothing
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- WATCH: Mariah Carey Caught Lip Syncing During NYE Performance–Storms Off Stage, But Not Before She Said This…
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall