Chants of “USA! USA! USA!” echoed across the University of Missouri quad Thursday afternoon as a crowd of students cheered on a student who burned an ISIS flag in a symbolic gesture in response to continual human rights violations by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.
The student leading the “#MUCKISIS” flag burning, Ian Paris, 21, president of the Mizzou chapter of Young Americans for Liberty, told the roughly 150 in attendance that the rally was meant to build unity among the people who came to see a flag symbolizing “hatred and intolerance” burned.
It was meant to demonstrate to the “monsters” within ISIS that Americans are not afraid, the political science major said.
Paris, a self-described libertarian, said his message was to tell ISIS “we’ve had enough. And to tell Washington … to stop using our tax money to fund radical Islamic groups in the Middle East.”
Prior to the flag burning, university security tried to convince him not to torch the ISIS flag, Paris told The College Fix.
“The MU police pulled me aside earlier today, put me in a room for questioning, and tried to convince me not to burn the flag. They did everything they could to stop me from doing this; they even played good cop, bad cop,” he said.
But the scolding was not enough to dissuade him or the other members of YAL to alter their plans. Paris said he believes the fear people have about ISIS is the reason why the event needed to happen, to speak out against what the group has done.
Read more: thecollegefix.com
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- Actors Blame Trump for Hawaii False Alarm — Jim Carrey “We are headed for suffering beyond all imagination.”
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- 22 U.S. States Have Passed “Bring Your Gun to Work” Laws
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- INSANE: Cops Kill Puppy that was Walking Away From Them [VIDEO]
- POWERFUL: Cop Stands in the Place of Student’s Deceased Parents at Graduation
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…
- Sessions Has HARSH Message for ‘Dreamers’ — Will Send Them CRYING Back to Mexico
- Rand Paul: Donald Trump was ‘Large Financial Backer’ of Haiti Mission Trips When he Was Private Citizen [Watch]
- Watch: Chelsea Manning is Running for Senate and the Campaign Ad Will Make You Cry with Laughter