Prosecutors in Westchester County said on Wednesday that they would review the 2008 death of a baby born to the woman accused of throwing her newborn girl from the seventh-floor window of a Bronx apartment this week.
Officials said the woman, Jennifer Berry, 33, of Yonkers, had a boy who died in March 2008 when he was just over 2 weeks old.
The medical examiner in Westchester County determined at the time that it was a natural death and said the cause was sudden infant death syndrome. But after the recent accusation, prosecutors decided to re-examine the case, said Lucian Chalfen, a spokesman for the Westchester County district attorney’s office.
Mr. Chalfen declined to release the child’s name or disclose any other information about the review. A spokeswoman for the Westchester County Department of Social Services said she was unable to discuss the case or Ms. Berry’s history with the agency.
Detective Lt. Patrick McCormack, a spokesman for the Yonkers Police Department, said in an email that officials there were “aware of the N.Y.C. incident, and our detectives are working with N.Y.P.D. at this time.” He declined to comment further.
Ms. Berry was arrested and charged on Tuesday with second-degree murderin the death of the newborn girl, who was found on Monday afternoon outside the apartment building at 130 West 183rd Street in the Bronx.
Ms. Berry was employed by the New York City Administration for Children’s Services from July 2007 to January 2008, working in the child protective services branch, agency officials said. During that time, she spent three months training in a classroom setting before continuing in a capacity that officials described as a closely supervised situation with limited interaction with families.
She left the agency weeks before she gave birth.
With the most recent pregnancy, police officials said, Ms. Berry had told some of her relatives and friends — including, it appears, her boyfriend — that she had miscarried.
Read more: NY Times
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- EX-CONVICT: Has a Few Choice Words for Cop Haters and It’s EPIC
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- FLASHBACK: When Trump Said McCain Was NOT a War Hero–He Was RIGHT
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?
- UN Military Vehicles Roaming This American State–Is Obama Fulfilling His Promise of a Global Police Force?
- PRINCESS OR QUEEN: THE 11 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DATING A GIRL VS A WOMAN